XP to Windows 7 transfer

Jack & Martha
NewLounger

XP to Windows 7 transfer

Post by Jack & Martha »

Can anyone tell me how to transfer an old Quicken qfp. file ("Financial Planner" written in 1997) from XP to Windows 7? Thanks! Jack & Martha

HansV
Administrator

Re: XP to Windows 7 transfer

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

I'm not quite sure what you want - if you merely want to transfer a file, copy it from your Windows XP computer to a flash drive or to a CD, then copy it from the flash drive or CD to your Windows 7 computer.
You can use a free program from Microsoft, Windows Easy Transfer, to transfer documents and files to Windows 7.
You'll have to install Quicken on your Windows 7 computer to work with the Quicken file.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jack & Martha wrote:Can anyone tell me how to transfer an old Quicken qfp. file ("Financial Planner" written in 1997) from XP to Windows 7? Thanks! Jack & Martha
In addition to what Hans posted, newer versions of Quicken may not be compatible with older 1997 versions, so the file may be imported but not usable. ( unless you still have the older version installed on the Win 7 machine )
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jack & Martha
NewLounger

Post by Jack & Martha »

Thanks for both your replys. I have transfered the program to the Widows 7 via a zip drive, but all I get is jibberish. I have tried to install the old version of Qicken but it is 32 bit and windows 7 needs 64 bit. If I were to purchase the "new" version of Quicken for windows 7, do yo think the transfered program woul then be readable?? Thanks Again! Jack & Martha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Most 32-bit software still runs on 64-bit Windows 7. If it is an older program, you can right-click the shortcut to the program and activate the Compatibility tab to specify that the program should run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jack & Martha
NewLounger

Post by Jack & Martha »

Thanks! I tried the compatability mode and coud not get it to work. It seems like a futal effort. All I get is jibberish. Thanks Again!! J & M

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Jack & Martha wrote:Thanks! I tried the compatability mode and coud not get it to work. It seems like a futal effort. All I get is jibberish. Thanks Again!! J & M
My experience with Intuit is that they used to be pretty responsive to questions and problem solving. I admit I haven't tried for several years to contact them but you might want to give that a shot.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Jack & Martha wrote:Thanks! I tried the compatability mode and coud not get it to work...
If you have a program that won't run under Windows 7 and you REALLY need it then you have two choices.
  1. Keep an old computer, running Windows XP, that you only use for this one program
  2. Create a virtual Windows XP computer that can run on your Windows 7 computer
Both of these are quite a bit of work, since you have to keep anti-virus software and patches up to date on a computer that only runs a single program. I guess you need to decide how important this is.

If you want advice on how to configure a virtual computer on your Windows 7 computer then let us know and we can try to help.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You stated " I have transfered the program to the Widows 7 via a zip drive"!

Does this mean you did NOT do a install using the Quicken CD?

If so, then you MUST do a install of the program and then copy the data file (qfp) to the new machine to the right location.

The wife who has been using Quicken since the DOS days, says that you need to get the 2012 version and go from there.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living