Show Desktop icons

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Show Desktop icons

Post by Gloria E »

I just discovered that I have two Show Desktop icons, I'm certain that I only had one yesterday (unless I missed seeing it, which I doubt). One is in Quick Launch the extra one is in a strange place, it's to the right of the clock on the extreme right hand corner of my desktop. I right clicked on it but there is no removal option, peek at desktop is checked but grayed out, only Show Desktop is visible.

I don't want the one by the clock, so how can it be removed?

Thanks is advance for all suggestions.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Show Desktop icons

Post by HansV »

The button on the right-hand side of the taskbar is the native Windows 7 "Show Desktop" button.
The one in the Quick Launch toolbar is an addition by you, since the Quick Launch toolbar is not built into Windows 7.

If you really want to hide the built-in button, you can use a free utility: Windows 7 Show Desktop Button Remover : Remove Windows 7 Show Desktop Button With One Click.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The button on the right-hand side of the taskbar is the native Windows 7 "Show Desktop" button.
The one in the Quick Launch toolbar is an addition by you, since the Quick Launch toolbar is not built into Windows 7.

If you really want to hide the built-in button, you can use a free utility: Windows 7 Show Desktop Button Remover : Remove Windows 7 Show Desktop Button With One Click.
I've searched for the tool at doors2windows.com, no where do I see the download button. Please tell me where to find it.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

It's at the bottom way below the Google chrome download bit (don't download that by mistake :grin:.)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See this screenshot:
x892.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:See this screenshot:
x892.png
OK, I found the download button, had to use zip because there was a notice that the exe had been disabled.

I'm really sorry that I found it. First: it didn't remove the icon to the right of the clock.
Next: It established itself in Startup and can't be disabled or removed. I deleted the one found in Windows 7 show desktop button remover.zip.

WinPatrol Plus has it listed in the Startup tab, that's where I tried to remove or disable, both failed to be done. The command according to WP is sbr.exe hide

It can't be found in the registry either. How do I rid myself of this monster?

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Didn't you get this dialog when you started the program in the zip file?
w7sdbr.png
(I can't test it myself - currently neither the .exe nor the .zip file can be downloaded...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
x892.png
OK, I found the download button, had to use zip because there was a notice that the exe had been disabled.

I'm really sorry that I found it. First: it didn't remove the icon to the right of the clock.
Next: It established itself in Startup and can't be disabled or removed. I deleted the one found in Windows 7 show desktop button remover.zip.

WinPatrol Plus has it listed in the Startup tab, that's where I tried to remove or disable, both failed to be done. The command according to WP is sbr.exe hide

Gloria E
sbr.exe /hide [don't forget the forward slash]
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Didn't you get this dialog when you started the program in the zip file?
w7sdbr.png
(I can't test it myself - currently neither the .exe nor the .zip file can be downloaded...)
Yes, that's what I saw and that's what I installed with horrible results (after it failed to do what it was supposed to do, that is).

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:
x892.png

Gloria E
sbr.exe /hide [don't forget the forward slash]
I searched for the file you named, it can't be found on my system or in the Registry Editor. I made a space after exe, correct?
Is there some place else I should look?

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Gloria, if you have cCleaner installed, open it and go to the Tools tab on the left, click it and then click the Startup tab. Find the offending item in the list, right click on it and choose "Disable".

HTH.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Doc Watson wrote:Gloria, if you have cCleaner installed, open it and go to the Tools tab on the left, click it and then click the Startup tab. Find the offending item in the list, right click on it and choose "Disable".

HTH.
Thanks Doc, I don't have the program but I will install it today