Windows Dashboard

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Dashboard

Post by Gloria E »

While running a scan with SuperAntiSpyware I noticed something called Dashboard was being scanned. Since I don't know what Dashboard is or how it got on my computer, I did a Google Search but found nothing helpful there.

Doing a search of my computer I found that there are 134 files using a total of 2327 MB.

My question is just what is Dashboard, what's it used for and do I need it?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Dashboard

Post by HansV »

There is not one single piece of software called Dashboard, so it could be several things. Without more detailed information it's impossible to say what the version on your PC could be.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Never heard of it, but ??? : Google Accounts

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:While running a scan with SuperAntiSpyware I noticed something called Dashboard was being scanned. Since I don't know what Dashboard is or how it got on my computer, I did a Google Search but found nothing helpful there.

Doing a search of my computer I found that there are 134 files using a total of 2327 MB.

Gloria E
Dashboard is a part of Windows Gadget Platform.
If you need it or not is up to you. I don't use it myself.

To disable it, go to Control Panel>Program & Features, click on "Turn Windows features on or off."
Scroll down and UN-check "Windows Gadget Platform."
OK out.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Gloria E,
It would help if you were to post the paths to some of the files, as they ( the paths) may just tell you where they are used.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:Gloria E,
It would help if you were to post the paths to some of the files, as they ( the paths) may just tell you where they are used.
Here are a few paths, if you need more I'll gladly supply them.

Program Files (x86) ATT Technologies\ATI.ACE\Branding\

Program Files (X86) Common Files\microsoft shared\

Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL (this is a file folder).

All paths begin with my C: drive.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:While running a scan with SuperAntiSpyware I noticed something called Dashboard was being scanned. Since I don't know what Dashboard is or how it got on my computer, I did a Google Search but found nothing helpful there.

Gloria E
Dashboard is a part of Windows Gadget Platform.
If you need it or not is up to you. I don't use it myself.

To disable it, go to Control Panel>Program & Features, click on "Turn Windows features on or off."
Scroll down and UN-check "Windows Gadget Platform."
OK out.
I followed your instructions, Bob. Windows Gadge Platform is NOT checked. What do I try next?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please don't mess with files in the Program Files (x86) and Windows folders. They belong to installed programs and to the operating system, and removing them may damage programs or Windows.

For example, the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Branding contains files associated with your video card. You don't want your video card to stop working correctly.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Gloria E wrote:...Program Files (x86) ATT Technologies\ATI.ACE\Branding\...
This one was supplied as part of the drivers for your graphics card.

Edited to add
I see Hans answered before me, again!
StuartR

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Please don't mess with files in the Progam Files (x86) and Windows folders. They belong to installed programs and to the operating system, and removing them may damage programs or Windows.

For example, the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Branding contains files associated with your video card. You don't want your video card to stop working correctly.
I sure don't want to start trouble, when there's none at the moment. Curiosity killed the cat, so I'll forget about them and leave things as they are.

Thanks guys for satisfying my curiosity