Desktop Icon Arrangement

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Desktop Icon Arrangement

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm in the first category you mentioned. I have no more icons on my screen than you do. I guess everything is a matter of preference, IF as you say, it's "functional" not a roadblock!

I usually post pictorial attachments here as graphics rather PDFs, but that too is a personal choice.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I created a couple of toolbars on the TaskBar for quick access to applications - perhaps I'm the only one who finds this really useful?

To do this, first create a folder - perhaps in My Documents - let's name it Office 2007;
Copy Office shortcuts from your 'Program Files\MS Office 2007' folder to the folder you've just created;
(You can drag the program icons between the two folders using the right-mouse button)
Rename these shortcuts as desired;
Sort the icons within this folder;
Right-click an empty area of the TaskBar and choose Toolbars, New Toolbar;
Locate the folder you prepared earlier.

Hint: If you intend to create more than one toolbar then plan ahead, as they will show in the order you add them (from left to right).

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Oops, forgot to mention.. I first created a folder in My Documents named My Toolbars, and then created sub-folders within this. This helps to remind me of the purpose of this folder.

And, of course, they don't just have to be shortcuts to apps. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My desktop is even cleaner - the only icon on it is the Recycle Bin. At work, it's just a plain gray background, at home I have a photograph on my desktop.

Thanks for your kind wishes, and the same to you!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

mishmish3000 wrote:... those who create icons for many, many things--including things they use once and then never look at again. It makes it really hard to do computer support for those people, since they can't find anything!!! Click here-no, not what I thought it was... click there--no, that was last week's---it goes on and on.
I wish I'd described it like that in the first place. :clapping:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

:evilgrin: What I LOVE is when the end user says, "Oh, what's this one? I don't even know what this one is..." and then proceeds to click on it anyway. LOL
Anne

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

:smile:
Right now my coworkers are running in terror from... the mighty field mouse! You'd think it was Godzilla trampling the office or something from the way people are acting. I brought in a humane mouse trap so hopefully it'll catch him or her tonight and I can relocate them outside tomorrow.
Here in TN it's 62 degrees F and that's quite warm for Dec. 15!! I wonder what it'll do for Christmas! It can either be cold and snowy or warm and sunny... that's just Tennessee for you!
Hope everyone has a great evening, or if it's already evening where you are, that it is indeed a nice one!
MishMish3000
Anne