windows recognizes only the first primary partition

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

windows recognizes only the first primary partition

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I'm feeling particularly dense and seek some layman's-terms understanding.

I thought I understood hard drives - 4 IDE drives on a chassis, and a master and secondary partitions on each drive, although I didn't do that much with all those choices.

I have been able to carve my Notebook hard drive into a system partition - drive C - with Windows & programs, and a data partition - drive D - with data files.

I am successful in creating rescue disks on 1 Gigabyte memory keys, one key each for the Netbook and the Notebook; they reboot and bring up Macrium Reflect, so I'm in business.

But I don't understand all the hoo-hah about Primary and Logical partitions.
a Google Search for windows recognizes only the first primary partition on a removable device brings up a lot of stuff, which (maybe it's too late on the weekend) is leaving me dazed.

Question 1: What is the reasoning behind NOT allowing a memory key to be partitioned? I think a USB external drive can be partitioned; why not a USB memory key?

Question 2: Is it unreasonable for me to expect to have a rescue key with a 200MB partition holding the boot stuff, and a second 800MB partition to hold those Really Useful Utilities (Macrium, TrueCrypt, Win Resource kit, EaseUs etc)?

Question 3:
Am I inviting trouble if I just leave the 1 GB partition (image below) as is but make a folder "InstallationTools" and drop utilities in there?

I have set aside two 1GB keys, bootable, one for each system, and these keys are being stored in the fireproof box where live my external backup drives.
I have two other USB keys I can use for data and they can be roped in to hold copies of installation utilities if needed.

These are not critical questions for me; I'm curious, and can't think of why this restriction would be in place.

Here is an image of the 1GB key Macrium Reflect rescue disk for the Notebook.
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: windows recognizes only the first primary partition

Post by DaveA »

Do a google on 'USB memory key partition' and you will find many descriptions about doing this, and a lot of "Tools" to do this.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living