Pin To Taskbar Failure

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Pin To Taskbar Failure

Post by Bigaldoc »

My new laptop again. I was going to pin a couple of programs to the taskbar and can't get it to work. Pretty sure I'm doing it correctly. First, I right-clicked the program on the Start Menu and there's no "Pin To" entry.

So, I ran the program and right-clicked its icon on the taskbar. The only entry is to Close the app.

Many, many hits in Google, some of which say that removing the shortcut "arrows" is the problem. I've NOT done that. Others have regedit hacks that I'm uncertain about trying. However, I also see several comments saying it's a broad problem with lots of users.

Does anyone here have a suggestion? I'm not sure whether it did work or not, because my Firefox icon for example is pinned and I can't remember if the installer did that or I did. Same thing with Chrome.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Pin To Taskbar Failure

Post by HansV »

I know that you didn't hide shortcut arrows, but just to make sure, could you start regedit and look for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile ? (That's LNKFILE, not INKFILE)
(1) Do you have this key?
(2) If so, does it have an entry named IsShortcut in the right-hand pane?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yes sir, I have that key and there is an IsShortcut in the right pane but it has no value.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just to offer an alternative, you could try dragging the app from the start menu to the taskbar using the right-mouse button, and it might offer 'Pin to Taskbar'.

But I'm guessing that if the shortcut menu doesn't offer the option to Pin.. then this method may not work either, but worth a try. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bigaldoc wrote:Yes sir, I have that key and there is an IsShortcut in the right pane but it has no value.
That, in itself, is OK. What counts is the presence of that item, but in your case it doesn't work, apparently.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Uh Oh, this is quite embarrassing! While waiting for the reason Hans asked that question, I just discovered that the "problem child" Is Revo Uninstaller Pro. It was the program I was trying to pin and it won't do it. But while sitting here I looked at a few others which DO have the pin context entries.

I guess I'll be paying a visit to the Revo support folks. Sorry for the intrusion Hans!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No problem, Al. I hope you'll get a reply from Revo support.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sheesh, now it's even more embarrassing! I found the answer in the Revo FAQ in about a minute or two... And, not only that, it's a bit laughable when you imagine a Microsoft programmer sitting in his cubicle, creating code for Windows 7. This is similar to the word "attach" in my beloved Thunderbird email program:

• This is because Windows 7 does not allow pinning programs containing "install" keyword in the name.
      Solution: You can solve the problem by making a shortcut on your desktop of Revo Uninstaller and change the shortcut's name to just "Revo" or something else but the name should not contain install as Revo Uninstaller does!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

At least you know the cause - and the solution!
Best wishes,
Hans