Problem removing .ico and .bmp files from program files.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Problem removing .ico and .bmp files from program files.

Post by Gloria E »

I have 1,277 .ico files using 1,08GB and 44.01MB of .bmp files. Both of which I would like to remove. I don't need the hard drive space but I would like to clean my computer of un-used, un-needed files.

When I click delete a message appears that says Permission Needed. It seems that only the Trusted Installer has permission. I've tried several times to take permission away from TI but it fails each time. I've tried to use myself as Administrator and remove TI. Several articles were found on the web, but I was unable to understand how to do it or failed in my attempts.

If someone would explain how to do this (in plain English), I would appreciate their assistance. Please use step-by-step instuctions, like you were trying to explain the proceduere to someone who just obtained a computer.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem removing .ico and .bmp files from program files.

Post by HansV »

Can you tell us in which folder(s) these files reside?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Can you tell us in which folder(s) these files reside?
.bmp > Windows\System32\oem and various other folders.

.ico > Windows\Installer and too many others to enter here.

They should be in the same place as yours, agreed?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Again, you are trying to delete "System Files" which in general is a NO, NO!

Anything under the Windows, folder you should consider as a system file and leave them alone, unless you know the full correct source.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wholeheartedly agree with DaveA that you shouldn't mess with the Windows folder. Even if the files aren't strictly necessary, the risk of damaging Windows is not worth it. Please leave these files alone.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with DaveA that you shouldn't mess with the Windows folder. Even if the files aren't strictly necessary, the risk of damaging Windows is not worth it. Please leave these files alone.
I agree with you and Dave, creating problem is the last thing I want to do.

Thanks to both of you.