Open with Photoshop

jmt356
SilverLounger

Open with Photoshop

Post by jmt356 »

In order to open up a file in Photoshop, I would normally right click on it and choose "Open with" and then Photoshop. However, I recently tried installing a new version of Photoshop, one that replaced the old version in the menu that would pop up when I would select "Open with." I then removed the new version and now neither version of Photoshop shows up in the "Open with" menu.

To try to bring back the old Photoshop icon, I selected "Choose default program" in the "Open with" menu. I then browse to the Photoshop application file. It's not in Local Disk (C:) under Program Files or under Program Files (x86). I actually find only the Photoshop .exe file saved to my desktop because this is a program that is so old it doesn't get installed; you just save it to disk in a folder and click the .exe file in that folder to launch it. However, after browsing and finding the .exe file and clicking Open, nothing changes in the Open with ... list; the old version of Photoshop remains absent.

Any ideas why?
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Open with Photoshop

Post by jmt356 »

Just as an update to my previous post: if I run the old version of Photoshop and then under Open with ..., select Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (the newer version that I installed then uninstalled), it opens in the old version of Photoshop. However, if I don't run the old version of Photoshop first, then selecting teh Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 icon causes a window asking me to register the new version opens up.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Open with Photoshop

Post by jmt356 »

As a second update, it appears that I had not fully installed the newer version of Adobe Photoshop. So I went into Programs and Features and features and fully uninstalled it. But now I'm in worse shape than before. Before, I could right click on the image and select Open with ... and choose the Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 icon, and it would open in the older version of Photoshop if I had it running. Now, however, no version of Photoshop appears in the Open with ... list, and browsing to the .exe file and adding it to the Open with ... list doesn't cause it to be added. There is no Photoshop icon in the Open with ... list, new or old.
Regards,

JMT