Zip Files In Windows Explorer

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Zip Files In Windows Explorer

Post by Bigaldoc »

Isn't there a simple way, software or otherwise, to tell Win7 NOT to show Zip files as folders in the left pane of Windows Explorer?

I've located a couple of places that have registry hacks to do so but there's got to be a safer way to do this that doesn't involve hacking the registry.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Zip Files In Windows Explorer

Post by Claude »

From what I can tell, you'll have to use the registry hacks. Just make sure you have made a restore point before getting into it.
Cheers, Claude.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See if the post marked as answer at How do I disable zip folders in Windows 7? helps.

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yeah, thanks Joe. That's just like the ones I found in Googling. I was hoping that there was a tweaker program around that would do it under the covers. TweakUI days are long gone... :sad:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The tweaking programs that I've looked at don't do this. Here are two that I keep around but very seldom use:

Ultimate Windows tweaker
Winbubbles

Joe
Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Glad you posted this, Joe. I just downloaded that Ultimate Tweaker on this morning. I'm gonna go with the regedit later.

(This zip file thing is very distracting. For instance, I keep ALL my downloaded software in a folder. I go looking for a program and have to plow through all those zip file folders as well as the parent folder. Ggggrrr... )

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I did make the two registry changes and it sure is nice to see ALL the software in a folder in ONE folder!

Thanks Claude and Joe.