Windows Update

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Update

Post by Gloria E »

Found on Windows Update was an update for my Display Adapter. It was in optional updates listed as ATI Technologies - Display - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Grapics.

My question is should I install it from Windows Update? I seem to remember reading that installing it from WU was not a smart thing to do. :scratch:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Update

Post by HansV »

In general it's better to get updates for graphics cards from the manufacturer (in this case Graphics Drivers & Software). Windows Update often recommends older versions of drivers.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

By the way, if you don't have problems with your display, there is no pressing need to update your graphics driver.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have had problems nearly every time I accepted a driver update from windows update, I never do so now.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You will find that the driver updates at Microsoft are outdated by the time they are "Approved" to be Posted at the Update site.

The ONLY time I have used any drivers from Microsoft, is during "Beta" of a OS, as they "Microsoft" is trying to get the ones that will work the best, to be included with the Install files.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

When or if it offers a hardware driver update, just un-check it or right click on it to choose to HIDE the update on your listing.
As the others have said, by the time MS offers it, it's probably been changed and already updated by the manufacturer. Go to the vendors website for hardware updates.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:When or if it offers a hardware driver update, just un-check it or right click on it to choose to HIDE the update on your listing.
As the others have said, by the time MS offers it, it's probably been changed and already updated by the manufacturer. Go to the vendors website for hardware updates.
I unchecked the update, if I see it again I'll hide it.

Thanks to Hans, Stuart and Dave for your comments. Since you all are on the same page, I will ignore driver updates in the future.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have never seen a hardware driver checked to auto install, and they are all in the "Optional" area
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:I have never seen a hardware driver checked to auto install, and they are all in the "Optional" area
I hope I didn't imply that I found it in Windows Update, it was an optional choice. I never use automated updates, all are updated manually by yours truly. I shouldn't have said that it was unchecked, Optional updates are never pre-checked. I should have said that I just ignored it and closed Windows Updates.

Sorry about misleading you.

Gloria E