Notification messages - too quick

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Notification messages - too quick

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Windows 7 Home Premium.

My notification area is often popping up a message, but it disappears too quickly to read. I caught site of it recently and noticed the term 'anti-spyware', I think.

I very recently un-installed Security Essentials (MSE) and installed Avira, then disconnected Windows Defender. (MSE and/or Defender were hogging my computer's memory.)

I went to the Action Center and everything seems fine, and it acknowledges Avira. What might this message, or messages, be about? And is there a log somewhere where I can read them in comfort?

(It flashed just now with a different message that I couldn't read..)

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Notification messages - too quick

Post by agibsonsw »

I was trying to use Event Viewer and, as far as I can tell, I think this error is significant:

\??\C:\Windows\SysWow64\drivers\mdvrmng.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Any idea what this might mean? Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Searching Google for info is tricky because the majority of sites about drivers looks suspect. From what I can see, mdvrmng.sys appears to be associated with SmartRoaming Client - does that mean anything to you?
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

HansV wrote:Searching Google for info is tricky because the majority of sites about drivers looks suspect. From what I can see, mdvrmng.sys appears to be associated with SmartRoaming Client - does that mean anything to you?
.. not really!

The Event Viewer is a bit overwhelming. But the Action Center doesn't indicate any issues anyway.

The Ease of Access option was for the notifications to remain open for 5 seconds, but it seems to be ignoring this. I increased it anyway, and I'll just try and keep an eye towards the bottom-left. I think the little flags are blue, which I assume is for information.

I'm thinking the messages are related to Avira, but it could be the Wamp Server I recently installed. Anyway, I've updated Avira and am running a scan. We shall see :scratch:

Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just to follow-up: the flashing notifications, and the considerable slowing of my computer, were caused by Avira anti-virus.

I've installed Avast! instead and it's much more responsive :clapping: (apart from some American lady talking at me..)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean that the American lady isn't responsive? :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, unlike in real life, you CAN stuff a sock in her mouth to silence her if it's annoying. Seems it is annoying to a lot of AMERICANS too. :evilgrin:

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

She's silent now - I ticked her off :laugh: :laugh: