Windows 7, VPN Split Tunneling support

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Windows 7, VPN Split Tunneling support

Post by DaveInPitt »

Hi Everyone - I have a user who is running Windows 7 Home, 64-bit. I installed our Cisco VPN service to allow our user to connect into our remote servers. However, when she connects into Cisco VPN, this is disabling her local Internet access from her home. I checked with our network engineer and he said our version of Cisco VPN supports split tunneling. Do you know if there is a Windows 7 option that I need to allow for split VPN tunneling? Thanks for taking a look.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Re: Windows 7, VPN Split Tunneling support

Post by DaveInPitt »

I may have found my issue. Cisco uses VPN Profiles. It may be my Profile that needs to support split tunneling, not Windows 7. I'll keep you posted for anyone who is interested.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

djohnson123
NewLounger

Post by djohnson123 »

Hi Dave,
I would be interested. I installed the Cisco VPN client on my new Win 7 machine so I wouldn't have to use my corporate laptop to access my desktop at work. But I too found that the VPN client blocked internet access from my PC so I was forced to use the laptop after all.
If anyone has a way around this problem, I would appreciate some advice.
Thanks.

Don

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

VPN split tunnelling is implemented by the VPN client, not by Windows. The VPN software that my employers use lets me togggle split tunnel on or off.
StuartR

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

Hi Don, yes, this is not a Windows 7 issue as StuartR noted. The cisco client uses Profiles. Our firm has a VPN Profile that allows for split tunneling. You'll need to seek out your network engineer who manages Cisco to ask if a profile is available that supports split tunneling.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

djohnson123
NewLounger

Post by djohnson123 »

Thanks Dave & Stuart. I'm sure that my company will not allow split tunneling for security reasons.
It's back to the laptop I guess !

Don

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

Hi Don - yes, for our firm, split tunneling is off by default for all end-users except for Admins.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA