My first image -2

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: My first image -2

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:... IF you have a CD in the drive it will attempt to boot from it and if it isn't a boot-able CD, it will then step down to try the HD.
Hi Bob, and I agree, that's what should happen and used to happen on all my other machines.
But not on this one. This Compaq CQ62 refuses to do that; checked twice, inspected, F10-save-and-exit, re-entered Setup, settings saved correctly.
Still won't boot.

I'm NOT going to complain; I promise :smile: !
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... there was a "now implement it!" phase to be run.
I've got the hang of this now and everything runs like greased lightning.
I got real brave and merged my C: and D: partitions back into a 219GB partition, Then split them into C: (50 GB) and D: (170 GB), and Easus did it, rebooted, everything in place ....

Who IS this guy that wrote EasUs?
He/she/it/they make me look GOOD!

Let's fire Microsoft and have Chengdu Yiow write Windows9.
All in favour? :cheers:
Untitled.png
Now let me tell you about the steak knives:-
I took a screen snapshot (shown above), and saved it to D: before firing up Firefox to make this post.
When I went to u/l the image from D:, it dawned on me that I didn't have to format the partition.
I had (yesterday) done a quick-format after taking off all my TrueCrypted data, but I would have guessed that I'd have to reformat after creating a partition.
Amzinger and Amzinger!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:There is a group of choices for First Boot Drive, 2nd, 3rd. You can select each and enter your choice of devices there. I have it mine set for Hard Drive first, CD/DVD second and [gasp] floppy third.
Hi again, Bob.
This will come as a surprise to you: It was my mistake!

One of those blink-and-you-miss-it things.

My computer IS set up to boot from (1) CD and failing that (2) HD, and I assumed that by having the (Macrium) bootable CD in the CD drive, and the machine having been told to boot from CD rather than HD, it would boot from CD.

Not so.

While I am out of the room getting, or getting rid of, a cup of coffee, the system puts up a message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", and getting no response within about 10 seconds, shrugs and decides I wasn't really serious about the CD thing.

By the time I get back into the room, there is Win7 with its stupid here-I-am-again grin.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

That is how it is supposed to work.

I think Bob mentioned somewhere above that if it isn't bootable (word?) (the CD for example), then the computer will move to the next step in the boot order priority list; however, which I don't think was mentioned, booting from a CD is always optional, so if it is bootable there will be a message as you just mentioned.

Lesson: when checking things like this, a new CD/DVD, a new HDD, and how the BIOS treats a new boot device, stay at the PC until the start-up has finished. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:... booting from a CD is always optional, so if it is bootable there will be a message
Agreed! (now !!!)
Lesson: when checking things like this, a new CD/DVD, a new HDD, and how the BIOS treats a new boot device, stay at the PC until the start-up has finished. :smile:
yeah, yeah, yeah.
I hate this stuff and want to go outside and PLAY(grin)