Change Permission

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Change Permission

Post by Gloria E »

I have run into this problem several times, this time I'm requesting assistance. When I try to delete a file occassionally I get : You require permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this file. All that to remove simple .jpg files. Right clicking the file, there was no option to use Run as Administrator. :hairout:

I went to Probperties > Security tab (Permissions for System), printed and used the documents: Set, View, Change, or Remove Permission on Files and Folders also: File and Folder Permissions. I've tried to follow the instructions to remove Trused Installer and set myself up as Administrator. When that failed to work I tried User (Duchess-PC\ User, obviously that failed to work too. :scratch:

I've not been able to change persmission alone so I'm requesting the help of users and volunteers on this forum. I require step-by step instructions, if you please. All assistance will be more than appreciated.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Change Permission

Post by HansV »

Gloria,

If you have questions about Windows 7, please post them in the Windows 7 forum, instead of in the Windows General forum where you originally posted this thread.

You asked a similar question in February - see the replies in Windows Media Player.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If "Trusted Installer" is required why are you even bothering with the files? That means they were part of a software installation. What is the full path of the files?

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:If "Trusted Installer" is required why are you even bothering with the files? That means they were part of a software installation. What is the full path of the files?

Joe
Joe, I'm getting mighty tired of Windows telling me what I can and cannot do on MY computer. If I want to get rid of anything I should be able to do it with no interferance fron Windows or some software program. I bother with files because I want them gone just like most users get rid of cookies. Don't you think that I should be able to things just because I want to?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
JoeP wrote:If "Trusted Installer" is required why are you even bothering with the files? That means they were part of a software installation. What is the full path of the files?

Joe
Joe, I'm getting mighty tired of Windows telling me what I can and cannot do on MY computer. If I want to get rid of anything I should be able to do it with no interferance fron Windows or some software program. I bother with files because I want them gone just like most users get rid of cookies. Don't you think that I should be able to things just because I want to?
As Joe said, It depends on what the file IS and what it belongs TO.
It may well be a needed part of some software that you have on your machine.
Right click on it and on Properties and see just where it is and in what folder it's in. Deleting it MAY just blow away something you depend on and you would have to re-install the whole thing just to get things back to normal.
If you really want it gone, you could try booting to safe mode and drilling down to where it sits and delete it from there BUT........
Don't say we didn't warn you! :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gloria E wrote:Joe, I'm getting mighty tired of Windows telling me what I can and cannot do on MY computer. If I want to get rid of anything I should be able to do it with no interferance fron Windows or some software program. I bother with files because I want them gone just like most users get rid of cookies. Don't you think that I should be able to things just because I want to?
Microsoft or other software vendors have gotten mighty tired of people making changes to and/or deleting files that are required by software then causing support calls because something doesn't work. If a file is installed as part of Windows or some application program it is highly unlikely that any individual user can really tell if the file is needed or not.

You can still do whatever you want to your computer. You just have to make sure you have the proper permissions for the account you are using.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Gloria E wrote: Don't you think that I should be able to things just because I want to?
NO, :hairout: as you have read here at a time or two, when a user has deleted files that are required by the system, then the system does not work. At that time it is Microsoft's fault :flee: because they did not do a better job. Well, they are now protecting us from :clapping: our own mistakes. This also goes for all of those GREAT tools one installs because the ad says it will speed up your machine and it will be a super fast running son of a gun :sad: . It also go for all of those neat toys :scratch: one hears about here at times.

:evilgrin: If you do not TOTALLY understand things, then it is best to leave them alone.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:
Gloria E wrote: Don't you think that I should be able to things just because I want to?
NO, :hairout: as you have read here at a time or two, when a user has deleted files that are required by the system, then the system does not work. At that time it is Microsoft's fault :flee: because they did not do a better job. Well, they are now protecting us from :clapping: our own mistakes. This also goes for all of those GREAT tools one installs because the ad says it will speed up your machine and it will be a super fast running son of a gun :sad: . It also go for all of those neat toys :scratch: one hears about here at times.

:evilgrin: If you do not TOTALLY understand things, then it is best to leave them alone.
What I was trying to remove is neither required, nor one that involves Microsoft. Removing .jpg files should not hurt the system or anything else. The file name is Desert.jpg, one among many that I found at All Programs > Pictures >Public Pictures. What is there to understand about removing something as simple as pictures? Why would Microsoft not want pictures removed?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

These images are the default images that are used within the "Sample" routine, when a new user is made. They are in fact System files, and the OS expects them to be there when a new users is made. You will find many files within this "All Programs" and/or "All Users" ares need to be left alone.

I believe that these images are used with the "Windows Classic" theme of Windows 7. I do NOT remember what OS you are using, the these have been around since Windows XP if not 98.

If you are hurting for disk space that you can not leave these types of systems alone, then I would suggest that you get a much larger drive.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:These images are the default images that are used within the "Sample" routine, when a new user is made. They are in fact System files, and the OS expects them to be there when a new users is made. You will find many files within this "All Programs" and/or "All Users" ares need to be left alone.

I believe that these images are used with the "Windows Classic" theme of Windows 7. I do NOT remember what OS you are using, the these have been around since Windows XP if not 98.

If you are hurting for disk space that you can not leave these types of systems alone, then I would suggest that you get a much larger drive.
If you mean by 'new user' you mean someone else using my machine, that's out, no one uses my computer but me.

I don't use 'themes', I use Webshots as my desktop wallpaper provider. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I have a 484.34 GB Hard Drive with 208.58 GB's of Free Space, so I'm hardly hurting for space. Why is it when I ask how to remove something, I'm asked if I'm hurting for space? If I just want to know how to do something and get straight answers, that shouldn't generate that question. Not in the near future anyway.

I appreciate your explaination of what those Public Images are and will take your advice and let them be.

Gloria E

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Gloria,

I know that it is your computer and you can do whatever you want to it. But if you asked us how to disconnect the brakes on your car, or how to rewire your radio so that the case was live you would expect us to explain that this might not be a good idea.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Why is it when I ask how to remove something, I'm asked if I'm hurting for space? If I just want to know how to do something and get straight answers, that shouldn't generate that question. Not in the near future anyway.
The straight answer is DO NOT remove any file that was installed when the OS was installed. We can NOT remember Everyone's system, so we do need to ask these questions.

If you were to review your track record, you have installed many "Tools" and then had issues. You have had complained about running out of space, it may have been on your older system, but some of your history does stick.

You may not be using any of the option themes, but you are using a theme, it is the "Default" one.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Lighten up, guys. :bif: :chatter: :cop:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:If I just want to know how to do something and get straight answers, that shouldn't generate that question. Not in the near future anyway.
Yes, it should, Gloria; because no matter the space one has, one has to live with some OS files.
Gloria E wrote:Joe, I'm getting mighty tired of Windows telling me what I can and cannot do on MY computer. If I want to get rid of anything I should be able to do it with no interferance fron Windows or some software program.
We have here, and elsewhere, over the years seen so many comments from people saying that it is their computer, they are the Administrator, they are Master of their domain, they decide what to do with their computer.

True, but it would be good if they knew how to do it then, and understood the consequences.

One can not always delete files at random. If one doesn't like that, one better write one's own Operating System.

As has been mentioned, and in the other thread, if Trusted Installer is mentioned, that means a software installation, so either you find out if it is possible to uninstall that software, or forget about it, and it can as mentioned be part of the OS.

And even if it is possible to uninstall software it's not always a good thing to do, hence questions to you.
Gloria E wrote:If you mean by 'new user' you mean someone else using my machine, that's out, no one uses my computer but me.
Well, but if something happens with your account, you may need to create a new one, for yourself, things must be working then. It’s short-sighted to say that one doesn’t need more "users", when that user could be oneself.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote:If I just want to know how to do something and get straight answers, that shouldn't generate that question. Not in the near future anyway.
Yes, it should, Gloria; because no matter the space one has, one has to live with some OS files.
Gloria E wrote:Joe, I'm getting mighty tired of Windows telling me what I can and cannot do on MY computer. If I want to get rid of anything I should be able to do it with no interferance fron Windows or some software program.
We have here, and elsewhere, over the years seen so many comments from people saying that it is their computer, they are the Administrator, they are Master of their domain, they decide what to do with their computer.

True, but it would be good if they knew how to do it then, and understood the consequences.

One can not always delete files at random. If one doesn't like that, one better write one's own Operating System.

As has been mentioned, and in the other thread, if Trusted Installer is mentioned, that means a software installation, so either you find out if it is possible to uninstall that software, or forget about it, and it can as mentioned be part of the OS.

And even if it is possible to uninstall software it's not always a good thing to do, hence questions to you.
Gloria E wrote:If you mean by 'new user' you mean someone else using my machine, that's out, no one uses my computer but me.
Well, but if something happens with your account, you may need to create a new one, for yourself, things must be working then. It’s short-sighted to say that one doesn’t need more "users", when that user could be oneself.
First of all, what I was attempting to remove where NOT system files. I know better than to remove or alter system files, I'm not completely stupid.
If I or anyone else knew everything or even almost everthing, then there would be no need for forums (true or false)? Maybe i'm mistaken but I believed that if I needed help, didn't understand something, or just wanted enlightenment, a forum would be the place to go. Obviously, I was under the wrong impression.

I'm afraid that I'm not smart enought to write my own operating system and am forced to use one someone else has written. Could you write one of your own (with your superior knowledge it should be possible.).

I'm sorry to have annoyed you with my stupid questions, I'll try to do better in the future.

Gloria E

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

StuartR wrote:Gloria,

I know that it is your computer and you can do whatever you want to it. But if you asked us how to disconnect the brakes on your car, or how to rewire your radio so that the case was live you would expect us to explain that this might not be a good idea.
So true, Stuart. If one was ill, they'd visit a physician for advice on how to get well. I understand that concept. I don't resent being given advice, in fact, I've asked for advice on many occassion and I never resented advice when it was offered. It's like when my grown children ask me for advice, I tell them if their not ready to hear what I truly think, then don't ask for advice.

Have a really good day.

Gloria E

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:If I or anyone else knew everything or even almost everthing, then there would be no need for forums (true or false)? Maybe i'm mistaken but I believed that if I needed help, didn't understand something, or just wanted enlightenment, a forum would be the place to go. Obviously, I was under the wrong impression.
Dear Gloria,
Questions are no problem in my mind, as far as I know we all have them in different areas; no one can know everything, and then, for example, forums are of great help, as you mentioned there is reason why they exist. Every question, as long as there's an honest intent, is acceptable, valid, worthy, you name it, my English isn’t the best, and should get as good response as it is possible.

My concern, with my comment, was how one reacts to replies to those questions.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote:If I or anyone else knew everything or even almost everthing, then there would be no need for forums (true or false)? Maybe i'm mistaken but I believed that if I needed help, didn't understand something, or just wanted enlightenment, a forum would be the place to go. Obviously, I was under the wrong impression.
Dear Gloria,
Questions are no problem in my mind, as far as I know we all have them in different areas; no one can know everything, and then, for example, forums are of great help, as you mentioned there is reason why they exist. Every question, as long as there's an honest intent, is acceptable, valid, worthy, you name it, my English isn’t the best, and should get as good response as it is possible.

My concern, with my comment, was how one reacts to replies to those questions.
My concern is how one responds to honestly asked questions. I seems that some questions set some respondants in a feeding frenzy and I don't like being the meal.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I'm sorry to have annoyed you with my stupid response, I'll try to do better in the future.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft has evolved design & security decisions since Windows was first released. I remember when literally anyone could do anything to the C:\Windows folder. That led to great instability. Then C:\Program Files appeared and anyone could do anything to it. Another source of great instability. For quite a number of releases by default all user had administrative rights. Yet one more source of great instability. Then with XP SP-2 and the real dawning of the internet age for most users, Microsoft started making decisions to lock down parts of the system. Over XP, Vista, & Win7 it has become easier and more realistic to run as a standard user and not have everyone be an administrator. Users can no longer willy-nilly make changes to C:\Windows or C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). All this is to try to protect the user from themselves and rogue programs. So, when a file is owned by "Trusted Installer" it should be left alone. If YOU choose to modify or delete the file you need to take ownership of the file. Then YOU must accept all the consequences from disturbing a file that a software vendor has distributed as part of a package. I recommend that if you choose to delete theses types of files that at a minimum you keep a written record of what you've removed so that if a problem pops up you can peruse your notes to see if a prior action could be the cause. Then you can determine an appropriate remedy. Making an image backup could be another good step. But the usefulness of an image backup decreases as time goes on. So, if you discover a problem a week to two later you may have done other updates which you consider important that makes restoring an image unworkable.

I apologize if my comments have seemed harsh but I've spent a lot of time fixing PCs where someone has done "maintenance" on their own and then call or email with "my computer is broken".

Joe
Joe