itype and imouse

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

itype and imouse

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

My MS mouse and keyboard have been working fine since day 1 with my recently new laptop. But Windows Update surrepticiously installed Intellipoint mouse driver software. I switched off the automatic updating of WU, but even so MS has since installed more mouse and keyboard software which I don't need. It even prompted me to Bluetooth enable my keyboard, even though it's wired/ no Bluetooth! (I realise that new driver software may have been required for W7, 64 bit.)

I was about to say that I'm not concerned with this software being on my computer, but I've just checked and they're about 70MB+ :laugh: - for a mouse and keyboard!?

What I don't like in particular is them appearing in my startup list (CCleaner), when I know I don't need them.

1) Can I uninstall them? They appear in my CCleaner list for uninstall, but WU doesn't list them, even though it did update/install them.
2) If I uninstall them, how can I prevent MS from re-installing them?

It's like someone opening your iDoor and making themselves a cup of iTea :grin:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: itype and imouse

Post by JoeP »

If you go to Control Panel | Uninstall a Program both Intellipoint Pro & Intellitype Pro should be listed. You can uninstall either. If they are only 70MB why bother as they give you more control over the devices than the standard drivers released with the OS?

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: itype and imouse

Post by agibsonsw »

JoeP wrote:If you go to Control Panel | Uninstall a Program both Intellipoint Pro & Intellitype Pro should be listed. You can uninstall either. If they are only 70MB why bother as they give you more control over the devices than the standard drivers released with the OS? Joe
Hi Joe. I'm not concerned about this size, it's the fact that MS kept installing and updating this software, even though I had turned off automatic Windows Update, and never requested the software.

Automatic updates for this individual mouse and keyboard software is also disabled. I've unchecked them from my startup list, as I don't need any additional features. I'll just keep an eye on it to see if any further updates occcur; in which case I might uninstall.

Regards, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.