Windows 7\Word 2010 File Locations

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Windows 7\Word 2010 File Locations

Post by DaveInPitt »

Hi All - I wasn't sure where to post this issue, either here or under Word so I apologize if I posted into the incorrect topic, but here it goes.

I created a new Standard user account in Windows 7 called Training, of which I had no issues. I logged into Windows 7 as Adminstrator to create the new account.

My firm uses a custom normal.dotm for new Word documents. When I login to windows as Training (the new user account) and open Word, our normal.dotm is not found when performing File, New (Word's default normal.dotm is loading instead, or some other normal.dotm is loading). The File Location in Word points to the correct directory where our normal.dotm file is located. This directory is the default Windows directory (c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates.

When logged into Windows as Training, I am unable to browse to this directory in Windows Explorer. I can only browse out to c:\users\training.

When I login to Windows as an administrator, I'm noticing that the AppData directory is marked Hidden. Should it be and could this be part of my issue? :scratch:
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 7\Word 2010 File Locations

Post by HansV »

AppData is indeed a hidden folder - that is normal.
While logged in asTraining, open Windows Explorer.
Click Organize > Folder and Search Options...
Activate the View tab.
Tick the check box "Show hidden files and folders".
Click OK.
You should now be able to see C:\Users\Training\AppData and its subfolders.
Copy your company Normal.dotm to C:\Users\Training\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Re: Windows 7\Word 2010 File Locations

Post by DaveInPitt »

That's exactly what I needed Hans. I know where this is located in Windows XP; but I am still a newbie when it comes to Windows 7 and I didn't realize that the AppData directory is a Hidden directory. I'm sure you appreciate the "easy ones"! Thanks!!
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA