My first image

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

My first image

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

I've downloaded an application 'Macrium Reflect' to create a backup of my laptop, as suggested by the good people of this forum :cheers:. But I'm unfamiliar with the process:

1) Should I choose to create a "clone" or image?
2) Do I need to clone/image the SYSTEM drive in addition to my C drive?
3) Would I repeat this (full) imaging process in the future?
4) How would I use my backup in the future (hopefully never..) to get it all back?

Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: My first image

Post by Roderunner »

agibsonsw wrote:Hello.

I've downloaded an application 'Macrium Reflect' to create a backup of my laptop, as suggested by the good people of this forum :cheers:. But I'm unfamiliar with the process:

1) Should I choose to create a "clone" or image?
3) Would I repeat this (full) imaging process in the future?
4) How would I use my backup in the future (hopefully never..) to get it all back?

Ta, Andy.
1) image
2) System is C: drive
3) YES everytime before testing or adding something new.
4) Using the recovery CD you should have made and tested, it's no good backing up if they are unusable.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Good luck, Andy!

In case you haven't spotted it yet, here's where you make the emergency boot CD on their menu.

Are you gonna use an external USB drive?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

agibsonsw wrote:...
Some computers have a separate SYSTEM partition, which is not the C drive. This depends on how Windows was installed. You should create a backup of the entire physical disk. If this has multiple partitions then back them all up.
StuartR

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

StuartR wrote:
agibsonsw wrote:...
Some computers have a separate SYSTEM partition, which is not the C drive. This depends on how Windows was installed. You should create a backup of the entire physical disk. If this has multiple partitions then back them all up.
If the pc has a System partition, no drive letter is allocated therefore its part of C: drive. IMO
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello all and thank you :cheers:
I've invested in a bunch of DVDs (special marker pens :smile: ) for this purpose; and,
There isn't a separate drive letter for SYSTEM so this must be part of the C drive, rather than a separate partition.

There is a recovery D: drive and I created recovery DVDs as well, using the default HP Recovery Media Creation option. But these would return me to the factory state; that is, with all the crap/bloat-ware.

Will the Bootable Rescue CD option return me to my current state, or is it just a means to allow the system to boot in an emergency?

So, let's say I create the Rescue CD, and then create the drive image. If I ever need to recover my computer would I use the Rescue CD to boot, and then my most recent drive image to get back to my current state? Would the drive image include an AutoRun file?

I'm sorry to labour the point, but there's no point in me creating all these discs if I don't know what to do with them.

Thank you for your patience. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yes, the rescue CD is used to boot the computer and then run the imaging program so you can restore your drive to the EXACT state that it was in when you made that image backup.

My personal opinion is that you will soon tire of backing up to disks (DVD or CD) but I could be wrong. If it DOES become a cumbersome chore, don't abandon backing up. Consider a USB drive.

(I used to backup, years ago, to CDs before there were DVDs and it was a real pain in the you-know-what.)

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you for the clarity, Bigaldoc.

I won't be backing up that often, my use of the computer doesn't really warrant it. I will continue to use USB pens, and email, to copy important documents. And System Restore is a great feature :clapping:

Regards, Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

If I'm going to create a bootable CD with Macrium it says I need to first perform a 2GB download from Microsoft :groan:

1) If, instead, I just create an image of my hard disk, is this no use without the bootable CD?
2) Is there an alternative (free) piece of software that can create a bootable CD without an annoying 2GB download?

Regards, Andy.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You ABSOLUTELY need the bootable rescue CD if your system crashes.

Why do you have a problem with the required download from Microsoft? It isn't gonna hurt anything. I don't know the technical reasons why, but I don't think they would require it it it weren't necessary. I got the same message you did.

Edited to add:
I forgot to say that NO, there is not an alternative. The boot CD is unique to Macrium. All imaging programs that I'm aware of, such as True Image and Shadow Protect, have their OWN CD creation routines. It's not a "bad" thing so I don't understand why you have an aversion to it.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Bigaldoc

2GB on my broadband will take an age, and I'll need to obtain a new voucher to handle this as well. But 2GBs of what? More nonsense sitting on my computer.

I've got a recovery partition, and rescue DVDs. Admittedly, this would return me to the factory condition (bloatware..).

I've never had need of a rescue CD (or even used the recovery option) before. I might just leave as is.

Regards, Andy.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Suit yourself, but I think you MIGHT live to regret this reluctance. I hope not for your sake...

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Bigaldoc wrote:Suit yourself, but I think you MIGHT live to regret this reluctance. I hope not for your sake...
I knew you would say that :grin:. I've never used or needed a system CD in 10 years of owning laptops, but now that I've been considering it Sod's law says that I'll need it very soon!

I'll have to put it off til the weekend though. Regards, Andy.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

agibsonsw wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:Suit yourself, but I think you MIGHT live to regret this reluctance. I hope not for your sake...
I knew you would say that :grin:. I've never used or needed a system CD in 10 years of owning laptops, but now that I've been considering it Sod's law says that I'll need it very soon!

I'll have to put it off til the weekend though. Regards, Andy.
You asked the question and got a few answers. If you don't like them, don't use them. We just try to help. :cheers:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Bob

Don't know where this came from; I always appreciate the help I receive here and don't believe
I've said anything untoward.

Andy.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

agibsonsw wrote:If I'm going to create a bootable CD with Macrium it says I need to first perform a 2GB download from Microsoft :groan:

2) Is there an alternative (free) piece of software that can create a bootable CD without an annoying 2GB download?

Regards, Andy.
I know I'm late to this party, but my copy of Macrium reflect(free) gives the option of a Linux recovery disk with less flexibility, but no big download. See this image...
Clipboard01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello jonwallace, and thank you.

I saw that option but was a little puzzled by 'Linux' appearing as an option on my W7 computer?

Anyway, I think "less flexibility" shouldn't be a problem, as a recovery disc only needs to do one thing :smile:

I'll give it a bash (once I've topped up me dongle!).

Regards, Andy.

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

The Linux Recovery CD works just fine.

I recently had a printer problem and you know how reinstalling a printer goes. After about four hours trying to get the printer working I finally gave up. Luckily I had made an image the day before. In about 20 minutes I was back up and running, printer problem solved!

Have faith, it works!!
:music:

JB

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello JB and thank you for the assurance :cheers:

I seem to be coming across as a bit of a cynic in this post :smile:. This is not my intention, and I've no concerns about creating a rescue disk :cheers: . I just wasn't so keen to download 2GB of (possibly) unnecessary stuff onto my precious computer.

But.. as it happens.. I am (very much) a cynic, as anyone who knows me will confirm.In view of this, would not a System Restore point have recovered your computer in a more straight-forward manner? (My apologies if you had already tried this.)

Best wishes, Andy.

[I must end this post soon.. I'm digging myself into a hole!]