Programme not in msconfig startup

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Programme not in msconfig startup

Post by jaystarter »

I help a partially sighted friend with their computer. There is a basic screen reader type programe that we have installed on XP home and Windows 7 basic. There is nothing in the programme itself to stop it starting up with the boot. In the XP machine I fixed this by going to msconfig and un checking it there. However on Windows 7 it's not in the start up folder and not showing in msconfig and I cant stop it from starting up. Is anything hidden in msconfig and if so is there a way of showing it?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Programme not in msconfig startup

Post by HansV »

Try the free utility WhatInStartup. It lists programs that start automatically, and lets you disable entries (the startup that is, not the programs themselves).
If that doesn't help, get AutoRuns from Microsoft, also free. It is more technical than WhatInStartup, but it provides the most complete list of automatically loaded programs, drivers, services etc. available, and it also lets you disable entries.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thanks. Whatinstartup does the job. I just wish I could find an explanation why it's not in msconfig in windows 7 but it is in XP.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't really know. Perhaps the utility has a different way of starting automatically in Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans