Lost Snipping Tool

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Lost Snipping Tool

Post by viking33 »

I suddenly noticed that some of my desktop shortcuts were showing a tiny "padlock" in their icons. They all seem to work OK but as I was going to post this anomaly here, I tried to take a screenshot using the Windows Snipping Tool.
It didn't work at all but just showed a small error screen with nothing more than a Red "bulls-eye" with an X in it? No explanation, just the X.

I know the Snipping tool is dependant on having the Tablet PC feature enabled. I checked and it is enabled.
I ran SFC /scannow but it turned up no problems.

So, no Snipping Tool and those mysterious padlock symbols in some of my desktop icons.
Any Ideas? :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Lost Snipping Tool

Post by DaveA »

Is the exe file still on your hard drive?

It should be at %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

viking33 wrote:I suddenly noticed that some of my desktop shortcuts were showing a tiny "padlock" in their icons. They all seem to work OK but as I was going to post this anomaly here, I tried to take a screenshot using the Windows Snipping Tool.
It didn't work at all but just showed a small error screen with nothing more than a Red "bulls-eye" with an X in it? No explanation, just the X.

I know the Snipping tool is dependant on having the Tablet PC feature enabled. I checked and it is enabled.
I ran SFC /scannow but it turned up no problems.

So, no Snipping Tool and those mysterious padlock symbols in some of my desktop icons.
Any Ideas? :scratch:
My Snipping Tool is pinned to the Start Menu and runs perfectly with Tablet PC feature disabled.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveA wrote:Is the exe file still on your hard drive?

It should be at %windir%\system32\SnippingTool.exe
Yep, Clicking on it directly from the exe file in System 32 does the same thing?
I suddenly had a SWH ( something wonderful happened ) after a cold shutdown this afternoon. Snipping Tool started to work again. WHY?

So I can now post this screen shot of one of the shortcut icons with the "padlock" symbol on it. As I said in the OP, the shortcuts seem to work OK but what is the significance of the Padlock?
Capture.PNG
The padlock is in the center left side of the icon.
BOB

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Everything that I have found refers to being "Private", have you by chance installed a new program in helping you keep things private?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DaveA wrote:Everything that I have found refers to being "Private", have you by chance installed a new program in helping you keep things private?
Good thought! I don't recall installing any privacy progs or options though. I did check Firefox and Thunderbird for any misplaced checks on private browsing and such. Nothing I can see there.
There DOES seem to be a correlation of sorts, in that the icons that do have the padlocks are web access related, such as the MLB shortcut that I showed. Others that are only local folders and such do NOT have the padlock.
I wracked my brain for anything that could relate to something like this but can't think of any.

Do you have any suggestions as to where to look?
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

If you're not sure of recently installed stuff, Bob, run Revo and sort the list by descending date. That will at least get that question out of the way.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

viking33 wrote:As I said in the OP, the shortcuts seem to work OK but what is the significance of the Padlock?
Perhaps a look at this page will help:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/lock- ... windows-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And in the Windows 7 Forum I found this: `I got rid of the locks by adding "Authenticated Users" to the security permissions on the directories'

HTH

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

MalcolmWalker wrote:
viking33 wrote:As I said in the OP, the shortcuts seem to work OK but what is the significance of the Padlock?
Perhaps a look at this page will help:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/lock- ... windows-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And in the Windows 7 Forum I found this: `I got rid of the locks by adding "Authenticated Users" to the security permissions on the directories'

HTH
Malcolm,
Referring to the first link, I could not bring up any "share with" item in the drop down list for the quick solution. Don't know if that applied to Win 7 64bit or not.
However, by adding the "Authenticated Users" to the padlocked icons security tab and allowing full control, It DID remove the padlocks but I had to go to each and every file\folder that was showing the padlock in order to do it.

I don't have a clue as to how or why these things showed up ( since it was only SOME files/folders affected ) but the ultimate fix worked fine. Much Thanks. :thankyou: :cheers: :chocciebar:
BOB

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Bob, Thank you.
I have Windows 7 Professional installed last year by upgrading from XP Home. After the install I found I had folders with the padlock in the folder icon. I resolved this by setting the security to `Everyone' and as you confirm it is a per folder or file process. Not only that I found folders to which as Administrator I didn't have ownership. I have also resolved that issue and when in Windows Explorer can take ownership through an addition to the right-click context menu. For anyone who wants to add this facility there is a tutorial at:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19 ... rtcut.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malcolm