Installing MSE

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Installing MSE

Post by Bigaldoc »

Can I install MSE in Safe Mode?

I'm trying to get back in the swing of things with my long dormant Win7 and I know there's a bunch of updates waiting to be installed. But the first thing I wanted to do is dump Avast, which I was able to do, and then install MSE.

MSE's installer ran for a long time and quit with a message that there's another installer running and it can't finish. When I looked in Task Manager it said that something called (I think it said) "Windows Trusted Installer" and I don't know if that's Windows Updates or not. It was taking huge hunks of CPU and the MSE installer was way down in the list.

I do have automatic updates turned on but not sure if that installer was it or not. When I went to Control Panel and looked at Windows Updates, the settings are good and it says I have 39 updates to install.

Recommendations, please?

PS: I'm back in XP now 'cause I didn't want to leave Win7 running with no protection!
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 09 Sep 2011, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Installing MSE

Post by StuartR »

Al,

I would recommend making sure that you are fully up to date with Windows updates before you do anything else. Just don't use this PC to do anything except connect to the MS web site and install updates before you have got your AV working.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It sounds like the WU installer is trying to run at the same time as the MSE installer.
Follow Stuart's recommendation to install the WU updates first, going strictly to the MS site only, then MSE ( if that's what you want )

Remember soldier, don't go on pass or leave without being "protected."
:doctor: :salute: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've got a headache after screwing around with Win7 for the past THREE hours, so I'm back in XP and finished for the day!

I tried to do as Stuart suggested but when I told Windows Update to install the 39 updates, all I got for 15 minutes was a throbber, going nowhere. Meanwhile that @#$%^& Windows Trusted Installer runs and runs.

I cancelled the Windows Update, UN-TICKED the IE9 and SP1 updates and the rest installed quickly and without a problem.

Thinking that I have a number of "no longer needed" apps like Adobe Reader and several others, I ran Revo and removed a bunch of stuff, just in case they were trying to update something while I was also running Win Update. I finally got IE9 installed and running, but SP1 WILL NOT do a @#$%& thing.

I rebooted to Safe Mode to try the MSE again and got a message that it can't be installed in Safe Mode. That's when I decided that I've had enough for this Friday and rebooted back to XP.

In the morning I'll try SP1 again and see how that goes. Knowing it's a biggie, this time I'll let it run for however long I can stand, but I sure wish to Heaven I knew what this alleged Trusted thing is and whether it needs to be running or not. I feel sorry for a novice who would probably by now have said screw all this!

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Just my personal opinion but I would be reluctant to install 39 updates in one go. I would prefer to do it in stages, perhaps performing a number of Windows updates and fixes first.

And I suppose there's no harm in creating a Restore Point (or two) as well :cheers:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

I found it easier to download the standalone version of SP1 & burn it to a cd. Now I can add it to any PC without another massive download. It will probably lessen the number of updates you need as well.

- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 35126.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

wasbit
Regards
wasbit

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

wasbit wrote:I found it easier to download the standalone version of SP1 & burn it to a cd. Now I can add it to any PC without another massive download. It will probably lessen the number of updates you need as well.
I did as you suggested but I think there was a problem that I didn't catch. Ran the SP1 from DVD and although it said it would take more than an hour and require several restarts, it did neither.

It took "about" 45 minutes and never restarted at all during that time. However, when it was finished, the window just closed with no mention of a restart. I thought, hmmm, wonder why. So, I plodded on, got MSE installed and removed a few utils that I no longer need like SpywareBlaster and other stuff.

After doing all of that I manually REBOOTED and checked My Computer, Properties and no mention of SP1. Opening Windows Update said that SP1 was STILL NEEDED. It's quite possible that I didn't wait long enough (previous paragraph) and something would have come up. Oh well, I guess I screwed it up, so I did it again, this time from WU and SP1 and all other updates are now online.

That's enuf for today. Tomorrow's another adventure. Meanwhile I've got some preparatory work to do for tomorrow's SAD commemoration in the USA (9/11/01 Remembered at 10 years.)