CCleaner

RonH
SilverLounger

CCleaner

Post by RonH »

I have just run CCleaner on my new Windows7 pc to clean the Temp files and the Reg ... keeping a record just in case of problems. Are there other areas worth cleaning eg should I select 'all' on the Windows cleaning page?

Should I use this cleaner at all ... you read so many diverse opinions so I would appreciate the views of our experts.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: CCleaner

Post by HansV »

You'll have to decide for yourself what you'd like to be removed and what you'd prefer to keep.

For example, if you often use the recently used items list in the Start menu, you probably won't want to let CCleaner clear that list. On the other hand, if that list quickly gets cluttered with items that don't exist any more, you might prefer it to be cleared.

If you let CCleaner clear cookies, it's important to specify which ones you want to keep. For exmaple, if you let CCleaner (or any other utility) clear the Lounge cookie(s), you'll have to login again next time you visit Eileen's Lounge.

I'm not convinced of the usefulness of registry cleaners, but I do believe a PC runs better when the various Temp folders are cleared from time to time. So I think the Cleaner section of CCleaner is helpful, while the Registry section is not essential (but basically harmless)

I'll show you my settings, but that doesn't mean that you should copy them blindly.
CCleaner_Windows.png
CCleaner_Applications.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for input Hans and your settings detail.
It seems that you do a lot of 'cleaning' without problems ... how often do you action this?

With regard to cookies, I have set my IE9 browser to Delete browsing history each time I close it down and all cookies are dumped because I do not 'preserve' favorite sites. This is a bit of a 'pain' but with so much 'rubbish' on the net I think its worthwhile having to log-in eg 'Eileen' each time I visit. In your case this would probably be a real pain since you are very active on this site. I have also set ActiveX filtering so that I can choose which sites I think are OK.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I run CCleaner about once a week.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Ron, The only changes I make to default settings are to untick Recycle bin & FF cookies and don't keep any. Mine is set in Task Scheduler to run on Saturdays on my desktop, which is always on, and once per day on my laptop as it does more work.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for your input. Seems that CCleaner is an OK tool so I will start to do more with it.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

My wife and I use it more often than listed here so far. We have never had a problem with anything it deletes. Seems a very good tool to help with those clean up activities.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit