Running startup programs

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Running startup programs

Post by AlanMiller »

I migrated to Win7 a week ago and I'm still feeling my way around permissions etc. I had trouble with programs not running at startup, so used Startup Program Unblocker http://www.jimmah.com/vista/content.aspx?id=2 to override settings to "Run as admin". While this worked, it was accompanied with warnings that "the file is located in and insecure folder" and that the action is not recommended. I'm wondering what the best way to tackle these permissions issues is. I have seen a suggestion of using a scheduled task to circumvent. Any suggestions?

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Running startup programs

Post by StuartR »

I use scheduled tasks to start jobs one or two minutes after login. This is simple and effective.
StuartR

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

But do you see any "danger" in running a program as Admin, from an insecure folder? I know and trust these programs, and could always install into another folder anyway. In particular, C:\Program Files is deemed "insecure" but my own C:\Portable Utilities folder doesn't seem to have a problem.

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

AlanMiller wrote:But do you see any "danger" in running a program as Admin, from an insecure folder?...
I am not clever enough to fully understand all the risks of this stuff, but I try to avoid add on tools like "Startup Program Unblocker" when there is a fully supported way to get the job done using the built in tools supplied by Microsoft as part of the operating system.
StuartR

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Sounds reasonable. I might as well learn the scheduled task method on a fairly "clean" system and try to keep it that way. I don't know the ins & outs at all either, but a lot of the security framework seems to mirror some of the more complex DBMS systems I've worked with. I do know that it's not that hard to get things into knots if you start fiddling permissions at random in those. I'll take your sage advice onboard.

thanks
Alan

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

As long as YOU must preset the permissions for each program then I see no problem, BUT, if the settings are such that ANY program can be installed then you have completely opened the doors for any hacker, spyware and etc to install programs.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

DaveA wrote:As long as YOU must preset the permissions for each program then I see no problem, BUT, if the settings are such that ANY program can be installed then you have completely opened the doors for any hacker, spyware and etc to install programs.
Thanks Dave. That makes good sense too. The way I've done it is on an individual basis, as you suggest, but I will still trial the MS recommended method of the scheduled task. While I still have a relatively clean, lightweight system to fiddle with I might have a play. I also like the latter idea because I was running into unreliable startups on XP Pro - maybe conflicts, delays causing subsequent program load messages to hit the ether... who knows. The scheduled task seems like it might have the (unintended) potential as a troubleshooter, with the possibility of separating startup programs on a timed basis, and perhaps isolating a "rogue".

Alan

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Alan, I would definitely make an Image of your pristine OS prior to all the "play". This way if you bugger something it will be a quick restoration to the pristine condition. Slightly off topic I believe but possibly pertinent, check and control start ups app with What's In Startup. This app allows easy control of what's starting with Windows, not order or delay, but just what's starting.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

tedshemyers wrote:Alan, I would definitely make an Image of your pristine OS prior to all the "play". This way if you bugger something it will be a quick restoration to the pristine condition.
Yep. Acronis True Image was the first thing to go on and run.
Slightly off topic I believe but possibly pertinent, check and control start ups app with What's In Startup. This app allows easy control of what's starting with Windows, not order or delay, but just what's starting.
I also love the little Nirsoft Apps. They were about the second thing to go on :grin:.
If you also go for the SysInternals apps (ex Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell) then you might also find WSCC as useful as I do. And :free:ware of course!

Alan

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Another nifty set of utilities from Nirsoft is NirLauncher. I installed these utilities on a flash drive. Very handy
NirLauncher.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit