"Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

"Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This seems to be an option on even-numbered days when the wind is blowing from the NE, as far as I can make out.
Has anyone an idea what causes it?
I'm a fan of the Recycle Bin, and know about using the Shift-Del key to permanently delete a file, but in these cases I'm just tapping the Del key and expecting the move-to-the-recycle bin.
At the time I took the PrtScr (blow) my recycle bin was empty and I'd just tapped Del on a 185 KB file.
I can't imagine that my Recycle Bin is/would be overloaded.

Drive T: is an TrueCrypt encrypted partition.
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?"

Post by HansV »

If you are sure that the recycle bin isn't full, it might have become corrupt. To repair: go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll down to line # 64. The link on the right-hand side is to a .reg file restorerecyclebin.reg. You can download and inspect it, then run it.
Another option is to start Windows in safe mode and to delete the recycle bin. After rebooting it should be recreated automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What makes you think that the Recycle bin is full?

If it is the fact that you were asked to verify that yes you wanted to delete the file, then that is because there is a check mark in the setting pane is checked to ask.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:If you are sure that the recycle bin isn't full, it might have become corrupt. To repair: go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll down to line # 64. The link on the right-hand side is to a .reg file restorerecyclebin.reg. You can download and inspect it, then run it.
Another option is to start Windows in safe mode and to delete the recycle bin. After rebooting it should be recreated automatically.
Hmm. Tried Plan A (#64) and rebooted; same problem.
Tried Plan B (safe mode) and deleted the C:\$Recycle.bin; rebooted.
Couldn't reach drive T: in safe mode, so rebooted and ...
Tried Plan C: Used a trick from WinhelpOnline to attempt an RD on every drive letter from C to Z. rebooted; same problem.

I'm not yet ready to rebuild the system from scratch, but could do so.
In the meantime I'm all backed up and willing to try plan D ("D"angerous stuff.)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:What makes you think that the Recycle bin is full? If it is the fact that you were asked to verify that yes you wanted to delete the file, then that is because there is a check mark in the setting pane is checked to ask.
Hi Dave.
It's not that I'm being "asked", but that I'm being "asked if I want to permanently delete" a file.
I expect to see that message if I Shift-Del, but not if I Del.
Unless the file is super-large, in which case I see a message "File is too large for the recycle bin" or similar.

I half-expected a problem if the recycle bin was full, so I emptied it on principle anyway. As a precautionary measure, clearing the decks, so to speak.