Language

RonH
SilverLounger

Language

Post by RonH »

Many software suppliers eg Google Earth find where you are located and download in the local language. I have my pc set to English language but with a Norwegian keyboard layout due to local letters. How can I set the pc so that software ptrogrammes download to me in English ... it seems that the (so called) language options relate only to the keyboard layout since one has already selected language (English, Norwegian whatever) at first start up. In my case could I set 'language' for the keyboard at English before doing a download and then reset back to Norsk :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Language

Post by RonH »

Anyone around who can advise me about this issue please :sad:
I read on the IE9 Options you can set 'Never allow websites to request physical location'. Is this a solution or am I down the wrong track.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

There are a number of different ways that web sites might guess where you are. The most common approach is to base the decision on your IP address. The only practical way you can get around this is by using a proxy server to disguise where the requests are coming from.

Your web browser does have a preferred language encoding setting, here is an explanation of how to change this for IE9 (I can't open this page at the moment, probably due to the location I am currently browsing from!!!)
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

StuartR wrote:There are a number of different ways that web sites might guess where you are. The most common approach is to base the decision on your IP address. The only practical way you can get around this is by using a proxy server to disguise where the requests are coming from.

Your web browser does have a preferred language encoding setting, here is an explanation of how to change this for IE9 (I can't open this page at the moment, probably due to the location I am currently browsing from!!!)
Had a look at this Stuart, thanks. But I can't see how this can fix such as Google Earth downloading in Norwegian. Also in the IE9 Internet Options you can set language as I have done eg.
English is set as first preference and then of course Norwegian.
Soooo confusing ...

PSJust had a go at this 'I read on the IE9 Options you can set 'Never allow websites to request physical location'. Absolutely useless, it still knows where I am!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

RonH wrote:...
PSJust had a go at this 'I read on the IE9 Options you can set 'Never allow websites to request physical location'. Absolutely useless, it still knows where I am!
It'll almost certainly be using your IP address for this
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

StuartR wrote:
It'll almost certainly be using your IP address for this
Yep. But I at least I have found the answer for Google Earth ... not easy when the language you are 'tracing through is foreign'!
In GE go to Tools/Option/General/Language. Set language, close the programme and next time it is opened the language is English ... in my case at least!

May be of some help to others :clapping:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

RonH wrote:Anyone around who can advise me about this issue please :sad:
I read on the IE9 Options you can set 'Never allow websites to request physical location'. Is this a solution or am I down the wrong track.
I believe this option is geared to devices that have a GPS such as phones, tablets, & notebooks. It could be used by a web site to tailor a page based on the GPS location of the device requesting the page. It would be of no use for your question.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for trying at least folks
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.