Stop apps from stealing focus

sobershea
2StarLounger

Stop apps from stealing focus

Post by sobershea »

Hi All,
Is there a way to stop applications from stealing focus in Win7? I Googled the subject and it seems that Win7, by default, is supposed to prevent applications from stealing focus. However on my 64-bit Home Premium SP1 other apps do steal focus. It is annoying to be gaming or working in Word or Excel and have another window pop up. From what I read on Google other people have complained of the same thing. Anyone here know how to stop this behavior?

TIA
Sherry

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Re: Stop apps from stealing focus

Post by Charlotte »

No operating system is perfect. What kind of apps are popping up windows? If these are things like updater notifications from companies like Adobe and HP, you can change your settings on those apps. They're designed to be in your face intentionally if you allow them too.
Charlotte

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Two apps in particular are the Task Scheduler and Comodo Backup. Neither of them have a setting to prevent them from stealing focus. It isn't a big deal - just annoying.

Thanks.
Sherry

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

Correct me if I've misunderstood: you have tasks scheduled and you have backups scheduled, right? Were you expecting that they would run in the background or not run at all when you were interacting with the machine?
Charlotte

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

I would like them to run in the background. Unfortunately the programs don't offer that setting.
Sherry

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

The kinds of tasks these apps handle are usually scheduled for times when the computer is idle. You do have control over the times, so my suggestion would be to set them for times when you are in bed asleep.
Charlotte