SP1 update for Windows 7

RonH
SilverLounger

SP1 update for Windows 7

Post by RonH »

Just getting my new Windows7 pc and I come across this ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems that it is really essential to install this SP1 update separate from any other updates. Anyone had this freeze up problem?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: SP1 update for Windows 7

Post by JoeP »

I've not had that issue with any system I've upgraded with SP1.

It is important that you have your system backed up before beginning the SP1 install process (or any service pack installation).

See Information about SP1 for Windows 7 and Troubleshooting problems installing SP1.

I recommend you download the full version of SP1 rather than rely on Windows Update. See SP1 downloads for download links.
You should download either windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (if you have 64-bit Windows) or windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe (if you have 32-bit Windows).

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

There are a few updates that must be installed before the SP will appear within the update listing.

If you go through the Windows update, you will only download what you need for that machine, but the external download will contain data for ALL versions.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I always plan on doing big updates such as SP1 by themselves. I also usually download the file from MS rather than using Windows Update. This way I can disconnect from the internet and safely shut everything down (any app running in the background including AV/AM) then install the update. I just feel more comfortable doing these major updates this way.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Seems we have different points of view in these posts?
The SP1 update from MS is HUGE and appears to have every possibility covered but, from what I understand from the above, you only get what you need if you do it via MS Update? Correct? Whichever I choose, one of my first actions when I get the new pc in a few days is to change the 'auto install' updater to 'let me choose'. I will then be able to isolate the SP1 update and install it as a stand alone update. But should I first install any general updates that may be available ... or the reverse?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Theoretically Windows Update will give you only what you need, theoretically. I guess I'm paranoid and do not trust Windows Update for these huge updates. I just prefer my method. It seems to create less problems ultimately.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:Seems we have different points of view in these posts?
The SP1 update from MS is HUGE and appears to have every possibility covered but, from what I understand from the above, you only get what you need if you do it via MS Update? Correct? Whichever I choose, one of my first actions when I get the new pc in a few days is to change the 'auto install' updater to 'let me choose'. I will then be able to isolate the SP1 update and install it as a stand alone update. But should I first install any general updates that may be available ... or the reverse?
See DaveA's post
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

viking33 wrote: See DaveA's post
Seen and will try this first. New pc cometh tomorrow ... more stress :groan:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Greetings from my new HP with windows 7 64 bit.
I thought that when I bought a Vista pc some 4 years ago that there were a lot of updates. But this Windows 7 gets the cake! What a mass of 'things to do' :groan:

I did keep Updating until the SP1 showed up and I installed this on its own but I did it via Windows Update which functioned OK ... fortunately one of my first actions when the pc was originally started was to make sure that I chose what updates and when to install.
But I noticed that there is not Adobe Player for the 64 bit so I use the 32 bit ... is this correct?
:thankyou:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

RonH wrote:...
But I noticed that there is not Adobe Player for the 64 bit so I use the 32 bit ... is this correct?
If you want Windows search to look inside PDF files then you should install the Adobe 64 bit PDF iFilter.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We just pick up a HP mini netbook 110, Windows 7 Starter.
It had 62 needed up dates before the SP1 and IE 9 appeared on the list.
Then the SP1 took about 20 minutes to download and install, and IE 9 about 15 minutes.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

DaveA wrote:We just pick up a HP mini netbook 110, Windows 7 Starter.
It had 62 needed up dates before the SP1 and IE 9 appeared on the list.
Then the SP1 took about 20 minutes to download and install, and IE 9 about 15 minutes.
Wears you out don't it :groan:
I know this is a bit 'off subject' but should I do a BIOS update that HP are trying tyo feed me with? I read that this needs a lot of caution.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The general advice is not to install a BIOS if you don't have a good reason, but if the vendor is trying to feed you the BIOS update then it probably is a good idea. Are there release notes that tell you what this update is for?
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

StuartR wrote:The general advice is not to install a BIOS if you don't have a good reason, but if the vendor is trying to feed you the BIOS update then it probably is a good idea. Are there release notes that tell you what this update is for?
Hei Stuart.
The Release Note say's ...
1. Fixes an issue where Total Memory displays incorrect size in BIOS setup utility if the memory size is 16GB.
2. Fixes an issue where the Virtualization Technology (VT) feature cannot be disabled if the BIOS settings are configured to default.

I have not a clue what this means!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

RonH wrote:The Release Note say's ...
1. Fixes an issue where Total Memory displays incorrect size in BIOS setup utility if the memory size is 16GB.
2. Fixes an issue where the Virtualization Technology (VT) feature cannot be disabled if the BIOS settings are configured to default.

I have not a clue what this means!

It means that if you have 16GB of RAM in the machine, you need to install the update, otherwise you can wait.
Charlotte

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

[/quote]

It means that if you have 16GB of RAM in the machine, you need to install the update, otherwise you can wait.[/quote]

Yep, I suppose one should look at the obvious! Don't have 16GB so will not install.
Thanks for your input. :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.