Catalyst Control Center

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Catalyst Control Center

Post by Gloria E »

Viewing my latest version of Belarc Advisor 8.1m, I discovered that I have multiple CCCenters listed.
The first one listed is: Advanced Microsoft Devices, inc version 2.0.0.0 ( I have 2 of these, one is version 2.0.0.0, the other's version: 1,0,0,1)

The second ATI Technologies, Inc >version 2.0.0.0. A search of my hard drive lists this one only. Belarc lists all 3. That's how I discovered the multiple listings. The computer listing for this one has 3 folders, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs has an option to Restart Runtime (it's a shortcut). To use it Restart seems to be the only option because clicking on anything else goes no where fast.

I did a Google search and found CCC is a 3D Acceleration Control Application Control that enables you to control the functionality of your graphics card. This information was found on Software informer.com. On this website the latest version is: 2.0.2519 with an option to download it.

First, I need to know if there should be 2 programs for the Catalyst Control Center and if one should be removed? I assume that the one that has Microsoft in it's name is the generic version. Am I in the ballpark here?

Next, should I restart the ATI program? I hope I have given a clear explaination of the issue.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Catalyst Control Center

Post by JoeP »

I do not think you are in the ballpark. AMD is Advanced Micro Devices not Advanced Microsoft Devices. AMD bought ATI (a video card vendor) sometime ago. Recently they changed the branding on their graphics hardware and software products to reflect the AMD brand more prominently than the ATI name.

The normal advice from AMD is to uninstall current versions of their software (which includes the video card driver) before updating it. I suppose that leaving some remnants behind is a possible result of an incomplete update process.

I'd say that unless you want to uninstall all the AMD software and reinstall from scratch just leave it alone. If you decide to uninstall it BEFORE you start you need to download the most current version of the AMD software for your video card. Go to AMD support to find the most current version for your video card.

What did you stop that you want to restart?

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In fact the programs serve different purposes, so you shouldn't remove any of them.
x602.png
And as Joe said, unless you have a very specific reason, you shouldn't click the Restart option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:I do not think you are in the ballpark. AMD is Advanced Micro Devices not Advanced Microsoft Devices. AMD bought ATI (a video card vendor) sometime ago. Recently they changed the branding on their graphics hardware and software products to reflect the AMD brand more prominently than the ATI name.

The normal advice from AMD is to uninstall current versions of their software (which includes the video card driver) before updating it. I suppose that leaving some remnants behind is a possible result of an incomplete update process.

I'd say that unless you want to uninstall all the AMD software and reinstall from scratch just leave it alone. If you decide to uninstall it BEFORE you start you need to download the most current version of the AMD software for your video card. Go to AMD support to find the most current version for your video card.

What did you stop that you want to restart?

Joe
So sorry, I didn't have my reading glasses on. After taking a second look at what I wrote, it did say 'Advanced Micro Devices.'
Thank you for the information regarding AMD and ATI :thankyou:
I do not intend to start from scratch and will leave well enough alone. I didn't want to restart anything, I was asking if I should.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:In fact the programs serve different purposes, so you shouldn't remove any of them.
x602.png
And as Joe said, unless you have a very specific reason, you shouldn't click the Restart option.
I will take Joe's and your advice and will not hit the restart button.But, what about the program that will not start? Is your advice to leave that one alone too? A program that no longer works, seems to me, that it should be removed. What purpose does it serve to keep it? Is that reason specific enough for removal?
I will do nothing until I receive a reply from you.

Thanks for the attachment, I now understand how the Catalyst Control Center works.

Gloria E

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Catalyst Control Center is a separate and distinct piece of software and is NOT required for the proper use and running of the ATI video card. It does not include the drivers for the card and might be used by serious "gamers" or graphic users. I have had ATI cards for quite some time and have uninstalled CCC completely without any problems at all. Advice from ATI also agreed that CCC is not a requirement but is included with a full install as an option.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As Bob (viking33) says, the Catalyst Control Centre is not essential - it lets you tweak advanced graphics settings that are mostly useful in 3D games. So if you really need the disk space, you could uninstall it. On the other hand, if you have enough disk space left, why not leave it as it is - you never know when you might want or need it.
Best wishes,
Hans