XP Mode

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

XP Mode

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I am expecting to upgrade myself to a new notebook with Windows 7. But I do need to be able to continue to use PageMaker, which I doubt will run under Windows 7.

My understanding is that professional versions of Windows 7 include an XP mode, allowing me to run this program under a "virtual" XP. It seems this provides a version of XP that does not require separate activation, so XP is effectively 'free' (although the professional version costs more) - is this correct?

There is an alternative of buying a cheaper version of Windows 7, without the XP Mode built in, and then install a virtual machine, with XP installed on that. But it seems that this would require a legal copy of XP that would be activated separately - correct?

Since I understand that XP is no longer sold, I assume one would have to use a copy from a retired PC - correct? How easy is it to get Microsoft to activate such a recycled copy of XP?

I'd be grateful to hear of any experience with this...

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Re: XP Mode

Post by HansV »

The version of Windows XP that comes with Windows 7 Professional doesn't need a separate license. If you install a virtual machine on Windows 7 Home, you do need a license for Windows XP. I don't know if you could use a license from an older machine.

Which version of PageMaker do you have? According to Compatibility Center there is a free upgrapde for PageMaker 7 that should run on Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

HansV wrote:...
Which version of PageMaker do you have? According to Compatibility Center there is a free upgrapde for PageMaker 7 that should run on Windows 7.
Thanks, Hans.

I do indeed have the upgrade referred to on that page. However, since this was released in February 2002 (some time before Windows 7), I'm not completely confident of this information. The folks on the Adobe PageMaker forum always warn against even using PageMaker with XP, let alone Win 7. They always insist that one should upgrade to InDesign, a program which far exceeds my minimal, but regular needs, as well as my pocket.

Some folk on that forum seem to be using PageMaker on Win7, but most seem to be doing so in the XP Mode. One or two have reported success under Win7, but there's always the comment that they've been lucky, and it could go pearshaped at any time.

So I guess I'd rather have my options open. But I don't really want to pay the extra for the Win7 professional if not needed...

Chris

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisJakarta wrote:
HansV wrote:...
Thanks, Hans.

I do indeed have the upgrade referred to on that page. However, since this was released in February 2002 (some time before Windows 7), I'm not completely confident of this information. The folks on the Adobe PageMaker forum always warn against even using PageMaker with XP, let alone Win 7. They always insist that one should upgrade to InDesign, a program which far exceeds my minimal, but regular needs, as well as my pocket.

Some folk on that forum seem to be using PageMaker on Win7, but most seem to be doing so in the XP Mode. One or two have reported success under Win7, but there's always the comment that they've been lucky, and it could go pearshaped at any time.

So I guess I'd rather have my options open. But I don't really want to pay the extra for the Win7 professional if not needed...

Chris
Will there be room on the new HD to create a second partition and then dual boot XP and Win 7? As long as you have the original XP CD, I would think you could reinstall XP with it's old code.

BTW, I hope you weren't affected by that latest quake in Jakarta?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Remember, for most non-corporate users only retail versions of Windows may legally be moved from one PC to another. If you have a volume licensed version of Windows you should consult with the folks who are in charge of Windows.

Joe
Joe

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

viking33 wrote:Will there be room on the new HD to create a second partition and then dual boot XP and Win 7? As long as you have the original XP CD, I would think you could reinstall XP with it's old code.
Joe,

I'm sure there would be room, but I'm not sure of the benefits of dual-booting versus using a virtual machine. My experience is that the VM boots faster, and can more easily share data with the base OS. It would still need a 'spare' copy of XP. As I mentioned, I suppose I could use a 'retired' copy from an old machine, but I'm wondering how easy it would be to activate this, i.e. persuade Microsoft that it was no longer being used on the retired machine.
viking33 wrote:BTW, I hope you weren't affected by that latest quake in Jakarta?
Thanks, Joe. Actually I've been holidaying in the UK for the last month, returning next week, so I'm not really up on all the 'local' news. But I don't think there has been a significant quake in Jakarta - yet!

Chris