cannot Rename desktop shortcut icons

Teunis
3StarLounger

cannot Rename desktop shortcut icons

Post by Teunis »

With my Windows 7-64 HP-SP1 I have some problems with the Windows Explorer, in that when e.g. I shut down the computer a message appears that the Windows Explorer has stopped working and usually somehow repairs itself. I have run already SFC /scannow, cleaned the registry etc., but the problem crops up infrequently.

However, just now I found that when I want to rename a shortcut icon on the desktop, that process gets stuck and after a while the message "Windows Explorer is not working" appears. If I click again I get the message "Restart Program"/"Close the Program"/"Wait for the program to respond" and I chooose Restart and the shortcut icons are as before. I checked the net already but nothing relevant. Any ideas are very welcome! In the meantime I'll try to do a rename in safe mode.

Regards, Teunis

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: cannot Rename desktop shortcut icons

Post by JoeP »

You could have a corrupted user account. Try creating a new account. If that it works OK with a new account see Fix a corrupted profile.

Joe
Joe

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

If Joe's suggestion does not work, delete the shortcut then go to location of the program, right click exe file and send to desktop as a shortcut.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

SafeMode:

There were also problems in safe mode where I had 2 shortcuts. When I tried to rename the one, the other - definitely referring to another exe - changed too! I then created the second one anew, by right clicking the source and then send to (desktop). Then there was no problem.
After restarting the problem was solved for all shortcuts. Still no idea what caused it. It may have had to do with ClassicShell and StartMenu7 which I both use. I'll have to check if the earlier problem with Windows Explorer Stopped Working is solved too.

Joe,

Thanks, that's a good idea, I still might try that one later, especially if the earlier mentione problem is still not solved. It's an interesting tip anyhow.

Roderunner: that is how I created the shortcut in the first place. It then still contained .exe in the name. The problem started when I tried to rename that one.

Regards, Teunis

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

The combination of ClassicShell 3.0.0 and Startmenu7 3.86 seemed to be the culprit. I kept Startmenu7 since I bought it, and all Windows Explorer problems have disappeared.
Regards, Teunis

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
Joe