Windows Defender

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Defender

Post by Gloria E »

Is it true that once installed it cannot be removed? I viewed that message while running Windows Update. Does it mean the program itself can't be removed or just the update for it? I want to remove this less than useful product, but I don't know how, so my questions include how to remove Windows Defender? My first question should have stated that the product named is Windows Defender. The second question is how to remove Windows Defender.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows Defender

Post by BobArch2 »

Gloria E wrote:Is it true that once installed it cannot be removed? I viewed that message while running Windows Update. Does it mean the program itself can't be removed or just the update for it? I want to remove this less than useful product, but I don't know how, so my questions include how to remove Windows Defender? My first question should have stated that the product named is Windows Defender. The second question is how to remove Windows Defender.

Gloria E
Not sure which O/S you are running, but this is from the Microsoft Support Forum regarding XP:

How do I remove Windows Defender?

To remove Windows Defender from Windows XP

1. On the Start menu, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Defender.
2. Exit Windows Defender by clicking the arrow next to the help icon and clicking Exit Windows Defender.
3. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
4. Click Windows Defender.
5. Click Remove, and then in the dialog box that follows, click Yes.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Defender is an integral part of Windows 7. I don't think it can be uninstalled, and even if it could, it wouldn't be a good idea to do so.

You can disable it, but if Windows 7 itself hasn't disabled it because you installed another security program such as Microsoft Security Essentials, I'd leave it running.

If you really want to, you can turn off Windows Defender from within the program:
Start Windows Defender.
Click Tools.
Click Options.
Click Administrator.
Clear the check box "Use this program".
Click Save, and confirm that you want to do this.

But I repeat, I see no reason to do so.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobArch2 wrote:Not sure which O/S you are running
Bob, this thread is in the Windows 7 forum. You can't uninstall Windows Defender the way you describe in Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:
BobArch2 wrote:Not sure which O/S you are running
Bob, this thread is in the Windows 7 forum. You can't uninstall Windows Defender the way you describe in Windows 7.
You are quite correct. I was just about to edit my reply and provide like information that had you posted above. I had found the uninstall instructions on the Microsoft site and just performed a cut-n-paste. On the site, the letters XP were not evident, but were there behind-the-scene. :scratch:
Regards,
Bob

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

BobArch2 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:Is it true that once installed it cannot be removed? I viewed that message while running Windows Update. Does it mean the program itself can't be removed or just the update for it? I want to remove this less than useful product, but I don't know how, so my questions include how to remove Windows Defender? My first question should have stated that the product named is Windows Defender. The second question is how to remove Windows Defender.

Gloria E
Not sure which O/S you are running, but this is from the Microsoft Support Forum regarding XP:

How do I remove Windows Defender?

To remove Windows Defender from Windows XP

1. On the Start menu, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Defender.
2. Exit Windows Defender by clicking the arrow next to the help icon and clicking Exit Windows Defender.
3. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
4. Click Windows Defender.
5. Click Remove, and then in the dialog box that follows, click Yes.
Thanks for your reply Bob, but Win Defender's not included on the Start Menu. It was also not found using my uninstaller program.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Windows Defender is an integral part of Windows 7. I don't think it can be uninstalled, and even if it could, it wouldn't be a good idea to do so.

You can disable it, but if Windows 7 itself hasn't disabled it because you installed another security program such as Microsoft Security Essentials, I'd leave it running.

If you really want to, you can turn off Windows Defender from within the program:
Start Windows Defender.
Click Tools.
Click Options.
Click Administrator.
Clear the check box "Use this program".
Click Save, and confirm that you want to do this.

But I repeat, I see no reason to do so.
I would like your honest opinion of Windows Defender. I read in a reputable article that it's not very good and that if a better one was being used, there's no need to run it. I do have a couple of much better programs for performing the same action that the Defender does. Since I don't care for more than two programs, unless they are necessary, I chose to disable it. I found the defender in Services and disabled it and stopped it from running. If I by some remote chance, I decide to use it again I can reverse the procedure.

Remember, your honest opinion's requested.

Thanks for your input.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Defender by itself is not a top security program, and it is not intended as such. It is a minimum protection that is provided for situations where the user has no other security programs running. If you have adequate other protection, it can be disabled without problems.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and when I installed it, it automatically turned off Windows Defender. I didn't have to do that myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I purchased Webroot Internet Security Essentials and that seems to be more than adequate. That's the reason I disabled Windows Defender

Thank you for your honest opinion.
Gloria E