Another annoyance

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Another annoyance

Post by viking33 »

Here is another problem. I can't set or KEEP the folder content view and have it saved, Only on some locations like the desktop "Utility" folder does this show up.
I stretch the bar to the right side of the screen bt right clicking and dragging it to the right to where I want it. I goto the Folder options anf click make all look like this and get out but next time there it is with just the contents in a row single ( or double ) file again. There doesn't seem to be a "Save" box or something to keep those settings, so I assume the folder option thing should save it. NO?
Screenshot below as example.
Folder view.PNG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Another annoyance

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Also make sure that CCleaner does NOT clear the Window Size/Location Cache. If the corresponding check box is ticked, Windows will "forget" all Explorer window settings each time you run CCleaner…
S2248.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Also make sure that CCleaner does NOT clear the Window Size/Location Cache. If the corresponding check box is ticked, Windows will "forget" all Explorer window settings each time you run CCleaner…
S2248.png
No luck on that one, Hans.
I'll have to get more into the other link about Windows forgetting it's settings. :thankyou:
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Not getting very far on this thing as yet, Have tried some of the fixes suggested but haven't hit on the solution. If at first you don't succeed, etc. etc?
BOB

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bob, I have done multiple searches on this issue you face and like Hans keep getting the same info of changing the registry option for resetting windows. The most descriptive one (though for Vista, but shouldn't make a difference in Windows 7) illustrates as follows (see Method #2). If this does not reset the windows, then are you sure (barring CCleaner) that you don't have other cleaning apps that could affect the window size?

Also, it might seem you have the Preview Window active which will squash the icons up if it is set wide. To toggle the preview window off, click this button.
20180627_544.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Another annoyance - folder content view

Post by Argus »

I'm not sure how much it actually helps to change the value for BagMRU Size in recent Windows versions. (As some probably remember it's been mentioned over the years, TweakUI, Windows PowerToys and all that as an alternative to manual edit, (what they say about Windows XP (400 vs. Vista's 5000) isn't completely true, I think, since I recall that XP SP2 changed it to 5000 (so RTM and SP1 had 400); can't prove it now, with a simple search (the web is getting ever more crowded and search engines less helpful) since the old KB813711, which they also link to, has been updated over the years, but I think it mentioned it.)

I don't know how you restored Windows (or what happened) after the crash, Bob; but this Utility folder on the Desktop, is the only content shortcuts to software and standalone software (i.e. running from that folder)? Have you tried removing the content and the folder and creating a new one, and then set the view as you like (don't know if there is a need to set the "make all look like this", since it seems your other folders are working, and I think it only works for (when it works) similar type of folders. (There is one setting in the right-click context menu, for sub folders, and the general in the folder options dialogue.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Then there is another aspect that perhaps could be worth considering, if this is an actual folder on the Desktop. In the "old days" it wasn't a good idea to store things such as files and folders on the Desktop (a virtual folder sort of that links to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop) since, I think, the Desktop wasn't covered by System Restore, i.e. they could be lost if restoring to a RP when there were no files or folders (even if SR shouldn’t touch "personal" files and folders). Now we see several different backup solutions in combination with SR.

You could create a folder somewhere on your drive(s) for these tools and then put a simple shortcut to that folder on your Desktop.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I believe that with the capable help of Hans, Rudi and Argus, the annoying problem has been fixed! :clapping:
It looks like the Preview Windows toggle was activated. I've tried a few of the other folders that were affected and so far so good! How such a simple thing as that can drive you up the wall as this did just boggles the mind.
HOPEFULLY, this is the last step on the recovery of Win 7. I may even, someday try to get back to Win 10. Maybe! :evilgrin:
So, THANKS again guys. I owe you all a few cool ones on the your next trip to the Cape. :cheers:
BOB