Multiple Simultaneous Network Connections

BobH
UraniumLounger

Multiple Simultaneous Network Connections

Post by BobH »

We have come to the strange situation where we have 3 different routers connected at home. They are all wifi routers, but only 2 of them have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands; one of them has only 2.4. Add a guest network set up on one of the routers and we have the choice of 6 networks to connect to. Of course, we set up a default or choose which network to connect to; but I was wondering why it is not possible to connect to multiple networks simultaneously. My guess is that Windows does not have the capability to manage multiple connections and that routing conflicts would arise. It just seems to me that one should be able to make and maintain multiple simultaneous connections. Surely there are needs for such in many enterprises. We truly do not NEED this capability. I was just wondering if it is possible and if not, why not.

Maybe this is only possible running VM and having multiple copies of the OS running simultaneously, but, then, hardware would have to have multiple ports, too. :scratch:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Multiple Simultaneous Network Connections

Post by StuartR »

Windows can support multiple network connections. You should search for articles about Binding order and Routing priority to see how this is managed.
Windows does not support multiple simultaneous WiFi connections through the same network adapter, but I am pretty sure you could do this if you added an extra WiFi card.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Quite often I have both an ethernet and a WiFi connection to a laptop...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Seems I have some research to do.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016