Win7HP Medium Date (Control panel, Regional)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Win7HP Medium Date (Control panel, Regional)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Where did my Medium data format go?
And how can I retrieve it?

For historical reasons, mainly to do with Batch Files and Application programs that process data from text files, I like my Short Date format set to what I think is “Medium”.
Aquarium_MediumDate.png
I say I think, because yesterday I changed it (to YYYY/MM/DD or similar) to test something out in MSAccess, and when I went to change it back to its regular value (Control panel, Region and language, Formats, Shortdate) I could find no way to bring up “Medium” in the list box.
By a laboured process of trial and error I found that MM/add/yyyy seemed to make my various batch files perform correctly, although it is awkward typing this with my fingers crossed.
I write this post in the hopes that newcomers will realise that those of below-average brightness can ask stupid questions and get away with it.
Where did “Medium Date” go? A day has passed, I rebooted this morning, so everything is reset. That is, I am not still in the original “regional” dialog box.
Of greatest interest to me is “Am I losing my mind?”, or does Windows7HP really inhibit the mnemonic names for date formats once the idiot user (me again) has chosen to indulge in a Custom Format?
Ta ever so.
(signed) “Five hours behind GMT, or there again, it might be five years” of Toronto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Win7HP Medium Date (Control panel, Regional)

Post by Argus »

Good evening, Chris,

Click on the Additional settings button on the Format tab (in the Region and language settings window), then select the Date tab (in the Customize Format window). Here you can add and change short and long date formats (and reset, restore, all default settings for that region).

(I think you'll find that if you add a customised short date, as above, click Apply etc. you will find it in the drop down list under Date and time formats (Region and Language window), but as soon as you return to one of the default settings for that region the customised format is removed.)
ChrisGreaves wrote:Of greatest interest to me is “Am I losing my mind?” [...]
No.
ChrisGreaves wrote:[...]or does Windows7HP really inhibit the mnemonic names for date formats once the idiot user (me again) has chosen to indulge in a Custom Format?
Seems to be. (And not only Windows 7 HP.)

Cheers,
GMT+2, at the moment :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:Of greatest interest to me is “Am I losing my mind?” [...]
No.
Thanks Argus!
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Good to hear, Chris.
:smile: You can also find your way to that window/dialogue box via the Taskbar clock.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Good to hear, Chris. :smile: You can also find your way to that window/dialogue box via the Taskbar clock.
Actually Argus, that's the only way I knew of until six months ago :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris