Windows Media Player

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Media Player

Post by Gloria E »

I had to remove WMP because of an error sending a file. Now I want to reinstall but I can't find the download page. :scratch:

Will someone please send me a link?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows Media Player

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I had to remove WMP because of an error sending a file. Now I want to reinstall but I can't find the download page. :scratch:

Gloria,
Google clearly lists this site for downloading WMP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... isplang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You should be able to reinstall it as follows:
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features.
- Click "Turn Windows features on and off" in the left hand pane.
- Click the + to the left of Media Features.
- Tick the check box for Windows Media Player.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I had to remove WMP because of an error sending a file. Now I want to reinstall but I can't find the download page. :scratch:

Gloria,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... isplang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clearly is it? Where did you see under Select Version, mention of Windows 7?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:You should be able to reinstall it as follows:
- Click Start > Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features.
- Click "Turn Windows features on and off" in the left hand pane.
- Click the + to the left of Media Features.
- Tick the check box for Windows Media Player.
- Click OK.
That's what I did to remove WMP in the first place. When I went back after getting rid of the error message to turn it back on, the moment I did the error message repeated. So back I went to remove it again, that's how things stand at the moment.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria, I already mentioned that you should be able to reinstall Media Player from the Programs and Features control panel.

But the link that Bob posted leads to a page with the following near the top:
x149.png
The "N" and "KN" versions of Windows 7 are the same as the standard versions, except that they don't come with Windows Media Player. Therefore Microsoft provides a download link for the Windows 7 version of WMP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria E wrote:That's what I did to remove WMP in the first place. When I went back after getting rid of the error message to turn it back on, the moment I did the error message repeated. So back I went to remove it again, that's how things stand at the moment.
And what makes you think that a downloaded version wouldn't have this problem? Apparently you haven't removed the cause of the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
viking33 wrote:

Gloria,

Clearly is it? Where did you see under Select Version, mention of Windows 7?
How much clearer would you like? Right at the TOP of the selections, it mentions Windows 7!!! ( first choice! ) It almost jumps out at you. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Gloria, I already mentioned that you should be able to reinstall Media Player from the Programs and Features control panel.

But the link that Bob posted leads to a page with the following near the top:
x149.png
The "N" and "KN" versions of Windows 7 are the same as the standard versions, except that they don't come with Windows Media Player. Therefore Microsoft provides a download link for the Windows 7 version of WMP.
I was there and tried both, one at a time and was advised that neither was applicalble to my computer. In the meantime I removed WMP from the registry, do you think I should try one of them again? If so, which one should I select?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the download fails, I think you should reinstall WMP from the control panel, and try to find out what causes the error.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If all else fails, you can format and start a clean install.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:If the download fails, I think you should reinstall WMP from the control panel, and try to find out what causes the error.
I reinstalled WMP again from control panel and when I clicked on the links on my desktop once again the error appeared and the links would not open.
The message said: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while downloading this file. The file that caused this was an audio file 8.56 MB. If the name is important I will post it, but I deleted the email message that was trying to send the file and the audio file too.

I don't know what else to do to stop this message from appearing once I reinstall WMP from control panel.

Gloria E

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

One thing I think you need to do is quit muckin' with the REGISTRY every time you have a problem with your computer. I don't think there's a one of us here who can attest to the condition of your computer if you try to "solve" everything by hacking around in the registry.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Bigaldoc wrote:One thing I think you need to do is quit muckin' with the REGISTRY every time you have a problem with your computer. I don't think there's a one of us here who can attest to the condition of your computer if you try to "solve" everything by hacking around in the registry.
I don't call it "hacking" I call it removing programs I've removed and ones that no longer work. I don't go deep into the registry, I just work with Programs. I presumed that removing WMP from the registry might correct the download problem. I have an Uninstaller that removes entries from the registry when I remove a program so why can't I do the same thing? I've never had a registry problem doing this and I've done it since I had Windows XP. So think of another word Al, hacking doesn't fit what I do. :innocent:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria E wrote:I deleted the email message that was trying to send the file and the audio file too.
What e-mail message is this and what does it have to do with WMP?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I deleted the email message that was trying to send the file and the audio file too.
What e-mail message is this and what does it have to do with WMP?
The whole thing started when I played an audio file using WMP. From WMP I right clicked on the audio file and chose to send to mail receipient. Live Mail opened and I addressed the email and the email went to the Junk folder (I didn't notice where it went at the time). When I tried to click on a shortcut on the desktop, it wouldn't open so I looked around for the cause. I saw that all the links on the taskbar had lost their icons, the titles were there but no pictures. Next, a message from WMP appeared that said "Media Player has encountered a problem while downloading a file." When ever a clicked on a desktop link I only got the error message again. I restarted my computer but that didn't cure anything. I tried to remove WMP but it was listed in control panel>programs & features and with the links unavailable I couldn't start my uninstaller. That's when as a last resort, I went into the registry and removed everything that had to do with WMP. No success there either so I went back to programs & features and unchecked the player. Success this time, my short cuts worked and the message didn't appear again.

And that's what the player had to do with the problem, it was the cause not the results. Since I can't find the download link, in spite of all the information sent to me, I seem to have no choice but to find another player. Both links on the download page failed to work, a notice saying that "the update is not applicable to your computer and I can't find one that is applicable I'm between a rock and a hard place where the player's concerned. :flee:

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps you should do a system restore to before the problems started.

If you'd like another media player, there are several good free media players, for example KMPlayer and VLC media player.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Perhaps you should do a system restore to before the problems started.

If you'd like another media player, there are several good free media players, for example KMPlayer and VLC media player.
Thanks Hans. Now why didn't I think of one of my favorite tools, System Restore? :clapping: I did every thing else I could think of but the main repair completely slipped my mind. The problem started yesterday (5/28), I will try that before I give up and get a new player.

If I have to get a new player I was thinking about the free version of Real Player or the free Winamp Media Player. I will also consider the ones you've mentioned, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

What would I do without you guys? Don't answer that. :thankyou:

Gloria E

Here is the result from using SR. I have the player back and no error message.
Thanks again Hans, you're the man for sure.