MSRT keeps reinstalling

fbl
NewLounger

MSRT keeps reinstalling

Post by fbl »

First post from a new user, referred here from the AskWoody.com website.

I'm running Win7 Pro 32 bit on two older Macs under Bootcamp, and have done so for several years successfully. Due to the limitations of both Bootcamp and my hardware, I cannot upgrade to Windows 10, nor do I wish to at the moment since most of the software I'm running is certified for use under Win7 only (notably, Merging Technology's Pyramix software).

As a result, I went through and uninstalled all the Windows updates that are Win10 update nagware, and also the telemetry updates of the past few months, as I am not a fan of spyware. The updates I have uninstalled include:

KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2976978 - Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
KB2977759 - W10 Diagnostics Compatibility Telemetry
KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3012973 - Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
KB3021917 - Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 - Telemetry [Replaced by KB3068708]
KB3035583 - GWX Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3044374 - W8,8.1 Nagware for W10
KB3046480
KB3050265 - Windows Update services update to upgrade to W10 (Replaced KB2990214)
KB3065987 - (Replaced KB3050265)
KB3068707 - Customer experience telemetry point. W7,8,8.1
KB3068708 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3075851 - (Replaced KB3065987)
KB3080149 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3083324
KB3083710 - restores KB3035583 to visibility and recommendation (Replaced KB3083324)
KB3083711
KB3090045
KB3093711

This all went fine, and I am no longer bothered by persistent nags to upgrade to an operating system I cannot, and do not wish to, use. However, it's not all clear sailing in that every few days I receive an update notification in my taskbar that "Updates are resdy for download", and when I check, it is for the Malicious Software Removal Tool for October 2015 KB890830. I've downloaded this several times, and allowed it to run its scan, and that seems to be fine (I'm also running Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, so I'm reasonably confident in my system's security). However, this update notice keeps re-occurring, and sometimes appears immediately after downloading and running the scan.

Any suggestions to fix this persistent, and seemingly unnecessary notification? I have hidden the update, but that just causes the nag to be for the September version, and that, when hidden, is in turn replaced by the August one, and so on. It would be really nice to get this to stop.

HansV
Administrator

Re: MSRT keeps reinstalling

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

You could try resetting the Windows Update components - see How do I reset Windows Update components?.
Best wishes,
Hans

fbl
NewLounger

Post by fbl »

Thank you, Hans - I'll try that the next time I get the update notification.

fbl
NewLounger

Post by fbl »

HansV wrote:You could try resetting the Windows Update components - see How do I reset Windows Update components?.
I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter several times, and each time it appeared to fix the problem, but after a day, the nag to reinstall the Malicious Software Removal Tool would re-appear. I decided to wait until the Novermber updates were released, hoping that the newest version would properly overwrite the October one.

No such luck. Following the monthly security updates I applied on Wednesday of this week, the nag came back, only for the November version, which is already installed and has run a scan. Thursday morning, I got a notice that there were a couple of new updates to add to what I had already installed, including the notorious KB3097877 which, as it was billed as being a Security update, I applied. That's when my current difficulties appeared.

Now I'm in the state where I'm getting a constant update notice. Running the Troubleshooter has reset the record of my installed updates, so I get a message every boot up, but the "Scan for Updates" just goes on and on and on, and after an extremely long wait comes up with KB3097877 as an Important update. Running the Troubleshooter again, I am informed that it found error 0x80070057, and was not able to fix it. Looking online for a fix yields many nebulous suggestions, but no clear information leading to a fix.

My latest system image is from last Saturday, and I may have to resort to restoring my system. However, I'm reluctant to do this, as this has been a big week for other software updates, and getting back up to speed after a system restoration will be a lengthy process in the middle of an already busy weekend.

I could sure use some guidance regarding a way forward with this issue. It's beginning to feel as though my system is infected with malware, which came from Microsoft itself.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

fbl
NewLounger

Post by fbl »

Thanks Hans, I'll give that a shot.

This morning when the Updater told me to reinstall KB3097877 again (my list of installed updates shows that it's there already), I just hid it, in the interest of getting some work done. A little later, I was informed that the MSRT for November was ready as well - another which installed (and ran its scan) on Wednesday.

It's one thing to be nagged about things you haven't done, but...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

fbl wrote:This morning when the Updater told me to reinstall KB3097877 again (my list of installed updates shows that it's there already), I just hid it, in the interest of getting some work done.
See Eileen's Lounge • View topic - Problems after installing Windows update KB 3097877 - you may wish to let a re-install run.
Leif

fbl
NewLounger

Post by fbl »

Thanks Leif - I did just that, and it would appear that all is well - for now. Note that I haven't had time to re-boot into Windows a second time to see whether the update "sticks".

Such a lot of fuss, when you consider that I don't even have Outlook installed.

fbl
NewLounger

Post by fbl »

By way of a recap, here are the steps I have taken so far:

1. Run the System File Checker according to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool according to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter according to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last run of the Update Troubleshooter showed no errors and/or it successfully repaired any it found, so reinstalling the Windows Updater as per step 2 above, seemed to have fixed my errors. Running Windows Update manually came back with the information that there were no updates available for my machine. Harrah!

However, a day later I got - you guessed it - a notification to install the December MSRT - again. ARRGH!

I do run this system with a variety of external hard drives - one is my Windows Backup/Image file disk, and the others are mostly for sound files and media projects. Could it be that whenever Windows detects a different drive line-up, it triggers the need to run the MSRT yet again?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Since MRT is just an .exe file, try going to Windows\System32\MRT.exe and renaming it temporarily to MRT.old
See if it recurs
Also open Regedit, drill down to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Removaltools\MRT.
Export it somewhere like Docments Folder. Delete it from the Reg.
If still no luck, you can just rename the file back to exe and go to the file you exported, make sure it's extension is .reg and run it so it is reinstalled back in the Reg.

Other tips are here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/system-secur ... lem-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

fbl
NewLounger

Post by fbl »

viking33 wrote:Since MRT is just an .exe file, try going to Windows\System32\MRT.exe and renaming it temporarily to MRT.old
See if it recurs
I did that, then ran the Windows Updater. It installed a new copy of MRT.exe and then a subsequent "check for new updates" said I was all up to date.
Also open Regedit, drill down to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Removaltools\MRT.
I removed the MRT folder from the Registry, then ran Windows Update, which indeed informed me that I needed to install the MSRT for December, which I did and then rebooted the computer. Once it was back up, I launched regedit and saw that a new "MRT" entry had been created. I then ran Windows Update which informed me that "No updates are available...".

All looks good, but in the past, this condition has only remained for a little while, or maybe until the next day or so, after which I get the update notice once again. Time will tell whether replacing MRT.exe and replacing its Registry entry will have the desired result.
Other tips are here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/system-secur ... lem-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is good information to be found there, but it still seems to center around the idea of removing MRT.exe and replacing or updating the Registry entry. Thanks for your suggestions, and I'll report back in a couple of days whether or not the "Curse of the Recurring MSRT Installation" has been broken for good.