Viewing Shared Folders in the Network Folder

sobershea
2StarLounger

Viewing Shared Folders in the Network Folder

Post by sobershea »

How can I see more shared folders when I navigate to Explorer, Network, and then select one of the other PCs on my network? For instance, whilst using my laptop I want to see files on the desktop of the DesktopPC. I have shared C:\Users\UserName\Desktop, as well as Pictures, and other folders on the DesktopPC. But when I go to Explorer, Network, DesktopPC, all I see is the folder for Users and I have to keep double-clicking to get to the specific sub-folder. I know I could add these folders to a Library but I prefer not to clutter the Library up. In Vista you could just add an (already) shared folder if it didn't automatically show up. I can't figure out how to do that in WIN7.

TIA
Sherry

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Viewing Shared Folders in the Network Folder

Post by JoeP »

As long as you've got the security setup correctly it should show up. Double check the security on the desktop folders.

Joe
Joe

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Thanks, Joe. I just checked the settings again and I am pretty sure they are correct. The thing is some folders show up and others don't. For instance, one folder I shared was My Scans which is a folder in Documents. It shows up in the Network folder when I open the DesktopPC. I also shared the folder for Wallpaper (Windows\Web\Wallpaper) and in the Network folder there is a folder for Windows and Web, not Wallpaper. I checked every folder I wanted to share to make sure I was the owner and that it was shared with Everyone. I even threw in Homegroup for good measure. Yet some show up and others don't. I can navigate to the folders I want, but I would like to not do so many clicks to get to where I want to go.
Sherry

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Any folder under the "User" master may have issues with sharing. If the user account does not share with the other local accounts, then it will NOT share across a network.

I would be very careful about sharing a users folder, as this opens the door for others to with any account to have access.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living