Display Folder Size (Disk Space Used for Folder and Contents

BobH
UraniumLounger

Display Folder Size (Disk Space Used for Folder and Contents

Post by BobH »

Is there a way to cause File Explorer in Windows to display the cumulative size of all files in its folders and sub-folders? I need to know if the files I have exceed the size of an 8Gb thumb drive.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Display Folder Size (Disk Space Used for Folder and Cont

Post by StuartR »

I think you just need to right click on the folder and select properties
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Right-click a folder in File Explorer and select Properties from the context menu.
If the folder has many subfolders, it may take a while to add the sizes together.
The screenshot below shows the result of my C:\Windows folder:
S0182.png
(As you see, 'Size' and 'Size on disk' are different. 'Size on disk' is less here because some files are compressed. 'Size on disk' is the actual disk space taken up by all the files)

Note: the size is not displayed for shortcuts to folders, such as the items under Favorites, and if I remember correctly, not for Libraries either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Gentlemen!

I knew there had to be a way to do so but I could not find the information searching the 'Net or the Lounge.

Many thanks!

:chocciebar: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs