Confounded File Explorer View

BobH
UraniumLounger

Confounded File Explorer View

Post by BobH »

:ranton:
1a.gif
Since installing Win7 about 2 years ago, I've been exercising my vocabulary of expletives at the weird way it displays file directories. Could someone please tell me how to get rid of the pseudo labels in the pic above and return to the traditional display of devices with sub-directories for their contents.

I think I hit the last straw today and want to restore some sanity to the process.
:rantoff:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Confounded File Explorer View

Post by HansV »

Expand Computer, then expand the drive you want to view...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Expand Computer, then expand the drive you want to view...
Yes, I've been doing that; but I'd really like to get rid of the pseudo directories at the top. Is it possible to do so?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

:wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

A couple of other tips:

1. I never use the native link to Explorer. Instead I create a shortcut:
%windir%\explorer.exe /n, /e, c:\
and drag that to my Taskbar. This opens up a usable view in my drive of choice (in this case 'C:\'). See also Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer.

2. I only discovered this trick by accident the other day and am extremely annoyed no-one bothered to tell me about it before. My folder views are generally remembered, but sometimes I may want to change it, or Windows decides what is best for me. My usual method to change the view was to click on the 'More options' button:
x.jpg
However, I found that with the cursor focus in the folder contents, I can change the view simply by holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel (much like changing the zoom level), and the view rotates through all permutations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also note that "Windows key + E" defaults to the root to "Computer".
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA wrote:Also note that "Windows key + E" defaults to the root to "Computer".
Thanks, Dave!

That is my go-to solution.

I wish I knew who the project manager or managers were at Microsoft who decided to change the way FE works. I know some people in the cattle lot business who need places to dispose of large amounts of waste. I'd really love to provide them with the addresses of those PMs. :evilgrin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Leif wrote:A couple of other tips:

1. I never use the native link to Explorer. Instead I create a shortcut:
%windir%\explorer.exe /n, /e, c:\
and drag that to my Taskbar. This opens up a usable view in my drive of choice (in this case 'C:\'). See also Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer.

2. I only discovered this trick by accident the other day and am extremely annoyed no-one bothered to tell me about it before. My folder views are generally remembered, but sometimes I may want to change it, or Windows decides what is best for me. My usual method to change the view was to click on the 'More options' button:
x.jpg
However, I found that with the cursor focus in the folder contents, I can change the view simply by holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel (much like changing the zoom level), and the view rotates through all permutations.
That trick ( #1 ) is an old that I've used for ages. Sorry you were annoyed but you didn't ask? :innocent:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

For quite some time I have used xplorer2 in preference to Windows Explorer.
The free version is quite good, but I paid for the Pro version, and find it invaluable.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I simply modified the libraries on Windows so that they include only my most frequent locations. This means that the default explorer window is useful, and so are the default save locations for most applications.
StuartR