Synology NAS and W7 Credentials Manager

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Synology NAS and W7 Credentials Manager

Post by John Gray »

Windows 7 Pro PC on a 1Gbps LAN accessing a Synology DS214 NAS share.

Both of these boxes go to sleep overnight, and waking up the PC causes the NAS to wake up also (slowly!).

However, within Windows Explorer the N: share for the NAS box is shown with a red cross on it, and clicking on it brings up the NAS administrator signon. Once you put the username and password in it, all becomes well and the subdirectories of the share become visible and accessible.

I have clicked the "remember these credentials" box in the NAS signon, but it doesn't seem to work.

A similar question on a Synology forum suggests:
On the PC type "cred" into the start button search and open the Credentials Manager. In the "Windows Credentials" section create a new credential with the UNC path to the NAS and the username and password to match the Windows login.
Never even having been aware of the Credentials Manager I was intrigued by what I found - but I couldn't find anywhere to enter any path! Can anyone help, please?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Synology NAS and W7 Credentials Manager

Post by jonwallace »

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't), the login details are given to the NAS box when you map to the drive letter. Try unmapping and remapping the drive and see what happens.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Jon - I've tried that to no effect. Currently I'm trying a variety of variations on the NAS box credentials as held in [Windows] Credentials Manager, to avoid the signon box when clicking on the sharename in Windows Explorer first thing in the morning. No success yet, even with deleting and recreating the credential, as suggested on a Synology forum post.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

On Win 8.1 when I add a Windows Credential there is a box for internet or network address. Make sure you are adding a Windows credential and not a Web credential.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Joe, but all I have in that field in the 'computer-name' of the NAS box, which I've called SynDS214.

I think I've solved the problem by the usual method of setting up an account on the NAS box which matches one on my PC. Previously I think that "admin" on the NAS box clashed with "admin" on my PC (which is hidden), with presumably different passwords.
John Gray

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, Windows Vista, 7 and 8 all like to see a common user account and password on ALL machines in the network.
It sure does make life better.
I have a BACK DOOR account on ALL machines and it has paid off many a time when adding a new machine to the network.
This back door is the only common account on these machines.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living