Start Menu Listings in Windows 7 HPE

BobH
UraniumLounger

Start Menu Listings in Windows 7 HPE

Post by BobH »

Can someone please explain for me why the Start menu displays as it does?

For example, when first clicked, I get this image . . .
Start.gif
with the large icons which I infer means frequently used programs. If there is a different explanation, I would appreciate being told.

If I then click All Programs (after the initial Start click), I get this image . . .
Start2.gif
with a separation of links for individual programs. Below this (see next image) there is a list of folders. Both lists seem to be alphabetized. Why are some listed as .exe links and some as folders which must be opened to get to the .exe file links?

This image shows the folders which must be opened . . .
Start 4.gif
Is it possible (or even desirable) to extract the .exe links from the folders and place them in the grouping at the top of the All Programs display? If so, how would one do it?

Finally, I've discovered some programs which do not appear in this list of programs. Some of them have desktop shortcuts that will launch them, others I find by going the the C:\Program Files folders (32/64 bit). What's up with that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Start Menu Listings in Windows 7 HPE

Post by HansV »

In the first screenshot, the two icons above the faint grey line are programs that you have pinned to the start menu. You can pin/unpin by right-clicking the icon.
The ten icons below that are recently used programs; this list is maintained by Windows. If you don't want one of these, you can right-click its icon and select 'Remove from this list' from the context menu.

The second and third screenshots show the "All Programs" menu. When you install a program, you'll usually be asked whether you want to add it to the start menu. If you do, it'll be added to the "All Programs" menu. Some programs add only a shortcut to the program itself (listed at the top), but most will add a submenu with one or more shortcuts, and perhaps further submenus. The Accessories submenu for example is created by Windows itself, it contains several accessories such as Calculator and Notepad, and also submenus for System Tools etc.

Some programs don't add an icon or submenu to the All Programs menu. You're free to create a shortcut and to drag it to this menu.
And if you don't like the layout of the All Programs menu, you can drag items around (simply drag and drop), and remove items you don't want (using the right-click menu).
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Customize the Start menu for more info.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

That is precisely the information I wanted!

:wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs