Inhibit content search in Win7 Explorer

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Inhibit content search in Win7 Explorer

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Win7Explorer.png
I have worked out (I think) one of the reasons Win7 Explorer is so slow when I'm searching for a file:-
It appears to be searching the contents of files rather than just the names.
Please and Thank You: Is there a way to tell Explorer to avoid contents?
I use Explorer solely as a (supposedly) quick search for files by name; there are other, better tools for doing content searches.

In the example above I am searching a folder T:\Blotter (109 folders, 3,367 files, 4.38GB) for a file whose full name.extent is "HPIM8269.AVI".
The green bar across the top is telling me to prepare lunch, or go for a walk etc.
The two files found, not surprisingly, contain the string "HPIM8269.AVI", which is what alerted me to the fact that the search is so slow because Win7 Explorer is examining the contents of files.

I am looking for a method to disable this feature permanently; I don't want to have to type a "but not content" parameter each time I use Explorer.

P.S. I use "Everything" and "FileBoss" for serious searches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Inhibit content search in Win7 Explorer

Post by JoeP »

Your searching is slow because you are searching non-indexed areas. Change what search indexes via the control panel and then re-build the search index.

Joe
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

To search for a filename you enter filename: into the search box followed by the search string, for example
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Chris,

As Joe mentioned, check your index settings and verify what is being searched. Deactivate all the locations that you do not need searched.
By default, file types are searched, by as I see in your screenshot, you can use extensions too to limit the amount of returning files.

To edit the index, go to index options in the control panel.
See more details here...
1.jpg
2.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

May I suggest that you try UltraSearch (JAM software?) to see whether it improves the file search process for you. It is free, very fast, and has no detectable impact on performance. http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/
Best wishes
Dianne

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:Your searching is slow because you are searching non-indexed areas. Change what search indexes via the control panel and then re-build the search index.Joe
Thanks, Joe but
(a) I've tried indexing and the search remains slow
(b) It seems to me that there is a content-search being done - the results shown in my screen-shot in no way match my serach template of "HPIM8269.AVI".
(c) Drive T is mapped to a TrueCrypt encrypted drive, and my vague experience is that the index seems to be either discarded or re-evaluated each time the encrypted partition is closed/opened.
:scratch:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Hi Chris, As Joe mentioned, check your index settings and verify what is being searched. Deactivate all the locations that you do not need searched....
Thanks Rudi; please see also my reply to Joe.
On this machine (DELL Inspiron about 2 years old, Win7) searches run slowly even on 8GB Memory keys. Also on C drive (NOT an encrypted partition!).
It's because of the slowness that I investigated and then installed FileBoss and then Everything.

It was this most recent evidence of content-search that made me think again that even an indexed search would be slower than necessary if all I really wanted was a fast confirmation that a file existed.

In my initial example, I knew the movie was there, I'd just forgotten where it was.
I don't expect a search for a specific file in a small portion of a drive (T:\Blotter\) to give me enough time to get up and pour myself a cup of tea, right?

FWIW I wrote myself a file search routine in MSWord a few years back that sucked in the file as a binary chunk, hence it didn't search as a *.DOC but as a string of bytes; turned up all sorts of interesting (deleted) debris in client files (grin!) and was faster than Explorer to boot.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Amelia43 wrote:May I suggest that you try UltraSearch (JAM software?) to see whether it improves the file search process for you. It is free, very fast, and has no detectable impact on performance. http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/Best wishes
Dianne
Hi Dianne, and thanks for the lead; I already have two freeware utilities - FileBoss and Everything that I use for serious searches.
I think that Explorer ought to be a simple fast search for a filename; since it is part of Microsoft i don't expect it to be very good at complicated things, but it ought to be good at simple things, right?

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Chris,

Root cause - you're using Windows Explorer.

Corrective action - STOP using Windows Explorer!

I suggest taking a look at xplorer2, a file manager that I've been using for, oh, a long time.

There are several versions available from free (lite) to a full (professional) version with a 21 day trial to the ultimate version. I have the ultimate version that allows for portable operation so I can take it anywhere.

One warning - once you start using it you'll never be satisfied with Explorer again...
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Chris, is there any reason for using Windows search (esp. since you have the little app called "Everything")?

I did a windows search using very specific criteria and the search took 75 seconds to find a *.ppt presentation (even with a relatively small index). Compare that to an instant result from Everything. I simply typed half the filename and half the extension in Everything and it presented me the file in 1 second. I just ask as I use Everything exclusively for all file access. I very rarely go to Windows Explorer.
1.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I agree with NOT using the MS search. A lot of 3rd party fast search apps out there. I can add:
http://locate32.cogit.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Used it for some time now. Free and it has 32 and 64 bit versions. You can select exactly where you want the search to be made or search everywhere.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:To search for a filename you enter filename: into the search box followed by the search string, for example
First let me say I never knew about this method before reading this thread and I like it. But I had to test it. So I picked a file I knew was on my computer and started typing it in that Windows Explorer search box and it almost instantaneously displayed the file but it was with other files that contained part the search criteria "Newaug.kls." The word "New" apparently made all the files appear but still it was so fast I couldn't believe it. Then I used your suggestion of "filename:New" and again after typing New files with "New" as part of their name popped up almost instantaneously again. If I continued typing the "a" after "new" then the exact file was found. But in all cases the speed it found the files was very fast; I'm guessing leas than a second, actually more instantly as I typed each letter. I really couldn't ask for anything faster. So once again I tried another test and used the same procedure on a USB connected 2 TB hard drive and though a little slower it was still less than a second before the file was found. My whole point is could there be something else causing the slowness of ChrisGreaves' search. Just asking because on my machine his method is blazing fast and I by no means have the fastest computer in the world.

OK before posting I just tested another Win 7 machine and it too was blazing fast. So I am thinking maybe something other than Windows Explorer may be the culprit though I have no idea what it could be.

Edited to add: Sorry I should have mentioned I too have Locate32 and Everything and what I did above was every bit as fast as either. So that ought to tell you just how fast it was cause they are both fast IMO.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The only things that affect a search in Windows Explorer (listed in order of slow to fast):
1. What is indexed
2. Searching file name and content setting activated
3. The root drive/folder you start the search in (searches will take longer if you search the whole drive than if you start the search in the relevant folder)
4. The criteria used for the search

All these will affect the speed that results are returned at.
You will get quick results if your index is small and clean and if you search only file names in a specific folder...
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:The only things that affect a search in Windows Explorer (listed in order of slow to fast):
1. What is indexed
2. Searching file name and content setting activated
3. The root drive/folder you start the search in (searches will take longer if you search the whole drive than if you start the search in the relevant folder)
4. The criteria used for the search

All these will affect the speed that results are returned at.
You will get quick results if your index is small and clean and if you search only file names in a specific folder...
Number 3 above is why I did the search on the 2 TB external drive. It has 79 GB of used space on it and I have no idea if it is indexed or not but the search was still very fast even when I didn't specify to search for file names only. Actually after taking a look at the properties of all my drives they say to "allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to the file properties." So it must be doing a good job because the search was very, very fast by any standards.

Also number 2 above must be activated on my machines because the search did find files that didn't have the search criteria in the file name when I didn't use "filename:..." but did have it withing the document.

I usually don't get this lucky on computers but this time all seems to be working great for me in using this kind of search. Glad I learned of it.
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

I'm not sure if you have the ribbon version of Windows Explorer, but the Search Ribbon makes it really easy to use those refining keywords that filter your search effectively.
#1 This screenshot shows the search options: Location (wide or narrow search), the filters and additional options
#2 - #5 screenshots show some of the large number of refining filters available
#6 Shows toggle options: By default the search will find file names AND file contents (in the indexed locations), but you can ask to search in file contents outside of the index too. This will produce slow results...maybe what Chris is experiencing....
1-vert.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure if you have the ribbon version of Windows Explorer, but the Search Ribbon makes it really easy to use those refining keywords that filter your search effectively.
#1 This screenshot shows the search options: Location (wide or narrow search), the filters and additional options
#2 - #5 screenshots show some of the large number of refining filters available
#6 Shows toggle options: By default the search will find file names AND file contents (in the indexed locations), but you can ask to search in file contents outside of the index too. This will produce slow results...maybe what Chris is experiencing....
1-vert.jpg
I don't have anything even close to what you just showed. I know I usually setup most everything to be shown in the Classic View if that makes a difference but even before doing that I don't recall seeing what your screen shots are showing. Just to be sure I am on the same page as the rest of you, you are talking about the Windows Explorer that is a standard part of Windows 7, aren't you?

If it is a standard part of Win 7 what is it called or better yet what would I have to do to see what you just showed? I checked under Organize and the View Tab and saw nothing I could switch to.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi's screen shot is from Windows 8(.1). Windows Explorer in Windows 7 does not have that feature.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

As Hans mentions, I am on Win 8.1. (This is the updated ribbon version called File Explorer).

I actually had to Google for what Windows Explorer looked like again, just to recall how it looks without the ribbon.
I'm so used to File Explorer (the newly named Windows Explorer in Win 8.1, that the screenshot below actually looks quite drab!)
windows7explorer.png
Last edited by Rudi on 08 Oct 2014, 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Rudi

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Rudi's screen shot is from Windows 8(.1). Windows Explorer in Windows 7 does not have that feature.
OK thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rudi wrote:Hi,

As Hans mentions, I am on Win 8.1. (This is the updated ribbon version called File Explorer).

I actually had to Google for what Windows Explorer looked like again, just to recall how it looks without the ribbon.
I'm so used to File Explorer (the newly names Windows Explorer in Win 8.1, that the screenshot below actually looks quite drab!
windows7explorer.png
Yep thanks. Mine looks like this and the one in the OP.
Regards,
hlewton