Sleep Mode

BobH
UraniumLounger

Sleep Mode

Post by BobH »

Running Win 7 HPE, I have my display sleep setting at 10 minutes and my system sleep setting at 1 hour; however, the system setting seems not to be working. The interval without use before it goes into sleep mode is quite long and seems to be inconsistent.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening (or even suggestions as to what might be causing it)?

Scans reveal no malware. I have scheduled CCleaner and Windows Updates to run at oh-dark-thirty but find the system active at mid morning even though I have not used it since the previous day.

:scratch:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Sleep Mode

Post by Rudi »

Run some troubleshooting with the times set to 1 minute.
Screen sleep on 1 minute and system sleep on 2 minutes
Then set system to sleep on 1 minute
Check if these occur without error

PS: You are not changing between different power options where one does not have a system, sleep setting active by any chance?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!

I just checked CP > Power Options and set display to 1 minute and system to 2 minutes.

After watching the face of a wall clock tick over 2 minutes, nothing has happened. I'm afraid I don't know how to check to see if the power options are active or inactive.

:scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Try this:
In this page, look at Check the Power Option settings, point #3 and #4. Test if this resolves?

Alternative:
See if you can pull something from these links
1. Why won't my computer go to sleep automatically?
2. How to Find Out What's Keeping Your Computer from Going to Sleep
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, Rudi!

I've changed the settings as suggested in those pages. (Actually, I read them and tried them before posting here.)

On further searching, there was a suggestion that the video driver might need updating; so I've started a download from Microsofat for a driver update.

Must run out to pharmacy and clinic - for flu shot - and by my favorite Thai restaurant. Those errands should take long enough to put the system to sleep.

Will report in when I get back.

:cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Scanning YouTube I came across another option...since you recently had router scenarios...
See this clip.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:Scanning YouTube I came across another option...since you recently had router scenarios...
See this clip.
Good call, Rudi! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I did not know that there was a power management option for network connections. I checked my wifi connection and it was already properly set per instructions in the video. I only connect on this system via wifi.

While I was out (maybe an our and a half), the display and the system both went into sleep mode. I had updated the video card driver before leaving; so maybe it was the driver that was the problem.

Again, thank you for your kind assistance and diligent work to help me resolve the issue.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad you resolved it.
Persistence pays :smile:
Regards,
Rudi