Essential programs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Essential programs

Post by Dave Davison »

In your expert opinions Gents, what if any of the programs shown below are not essential for general day to day running of a home computer as the shop owner thinks I might have too many running but did not have the time to check as he had customers' computers on his bench that required attention so I did not expect him to devote undue time on mine. After all he did not charge for the time he had already spent cleaning mine up. Below is a list of progs installed. I am aware that personal choices & requirements will determine what programs are installed but apart from the basics required for :- Downloading files, Converting the same; Burning to disc; Revo & Malware Bytes, what others can be dispensed with? :scratch: Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Essential programs

Post by viking33 »

Not a very good screenshot, Dave.
Even with zoom, I couldn't make out much detail, but installed programs won't do much if anything, except take up room on the HD.
Which ones do you actually have RUNNING at one time?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Besides the fact that you have many doubles listed (one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit) which i don't think is necessary, the only one that really is not doing anything in your list is PowerPoint Viewer. Since you have PowerPoint installed, the viewer is not needed at all.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sorry for the reduced size of the screen shots gents but I did not want to upload a massive attachment. Point taken about the visible programs only taking up space on the H/D rather than slowing down the system and incidentally, when I was at the shop yesterday the owner unticked all the programs that are not needed to run at start up so the m/c is significantly faster than it was before the visit. Also the issue of drives randomly going missing from the W/E view has not happens again thus far so fingers crossed. Thanks again Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:Also the issue of drives randomly going missing from the W/E view has not happens again thus far
That's great to here. Holding thumbs with you that is stays so....
I had that issue a while back and I know the frustrations if Windows is not working the way you expect it to.
:cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Rudi...frustration -for me- could well be an understatement - and does nothing positive for the hypertension malady I live with. I am fully aware of the complexties of these here box of tricks called "Desktops" but it seems each hurdle is shadowed by another lurking around the corner. By the standards of you guys my conclusion is I know very little but what I have gleened from this invaluable resource does enable me to grope through the constant glitches that bedog me. In light of the comment "there are many doubles" I will copy below bigger shots of the list as the siad doubles might as well be deleted & save space which is always beneficial. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't see anything to be worried about. Microsoft installs both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of some programs, such as Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player, but that is not a problem - I'd leave both versions.

The only really superfluous program has already been mentioned: Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer - you don't need it since you have the full version, Microsoft PowerPoint 2007.

You probably don't need all of the Nero utilities, but if you don't use them, they do no harm either.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

....so nothing to lose sleep over, much ablidged gents. Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:....so nothing to lose sleep over, much ablidged gents. Dave.
I'll leave this thread with one tip. I really couldn't stand to have my desktop look like a mad scientist's desk, with so many icons and shortcuts taking up the whole screen.
So what I have done is create FOLDERS on the desktop, instead of shortcuts. I have a folder called Utilites, for example. I put shortcuts to things like CCleaner and Malwarebytes and Regedit, etc. in that folder. I have a Download folder. A Finance folder for money related things, like checkbook. Any subject with more than one program have a shortcut put in a folder, thus truly creating a nice uncluttered clean look to the desktop. I have eight icons on my desktop, total, including Computer and Recycle Bin.
Hey, I can even see my desktop wallpaper without being overrun by icons!
:cloud9: :groovin: :joy:
BOB

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I agree with you Bob. My desktop only has two icons and the rest is real estate for some amazing images that Windows cycles through. I don't however think that is Dave's desktop. The screenshot possibly was taken from the add/remove programs window via control panel.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, they are screenshots from Secunia PSI.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:No, they are screenshots from Secunia PSI.
OK, I don't use Secunia, so they didn't look familiar to me. Dave refers to them as "Desktops."
BOB

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

How easy it is for a thread to go off the rails, and -as in this instance - bacause of a misunderstanding. I am certainly not the sharpest knife in the box when it comes to computers but to think I might have a desktop that resembled anything like the Secunia screen shots view is -well - I'm speechless. I too actually have no less than 8 shortcut folders on the desktop in which I keep folders and files that I access regularly. And as for the background image - it is a photo I took a year gone Christmas when visiting "Keswick" in the lake district of northern England. A favourite picture of mine that would - I think some might agree - be suitable for the month of December in any calendar & which is regarded by many as one of the most picturesque regions of England. That is not to say that Scotland and Wales don't have unique areas of outstanding beauty. Cheers loungers & thanks again Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a beautiful picture indeed!
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans...I am well aware of the saying "Pride comes before a fall" so seldom if ever brag about anything personal but this is one of the most satisfying photos I have taken in a long time -hense the reason for it gracing my desktop-. One other that I use alternatively as wallpaper is the one below which I took a few years ago whilst staying in Luxor, and brings back pleasant memories of that memorable vacation. "Sunset over the Nile". Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that's very good too, with the low sun behind the sail.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Some of my favourite photos are ones taken with the light source in front of the camera. The subject is converted into a silhouette and the image becomes more monotone. It adds a powerful character to the image. That Nile shot is superb Dave! Love the golden light!

My only "personal corrections" to your image (with a photo editor):

1. Slightly underexpose the image to remove the haze
2. Crop the image to place the subject off center
3. Straighten out the horizon
Sunset over the Nile.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I subscribe to the chaos management desktop style. :hairout: :hairout: :hairout: :hairout:
desktop ss.jpg

In fact I almost never launch anything from a desktop icon but use the desktop as a convenient place to keep temporary files or things I want to keep handy but not worth adding to the task tray.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

You could say your desktop is Leiden with icons.... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

BobH wrote:I subscribe to the chaos management desktop style. :hairout: :hairout: :hairout: :hairout:
In fact I almost never launch anything from a desktop icon but use the desktop as a convenient place to keep temporary files or things I want to keep handy but not worth adding to the task tray.
I have a neighbor who subscribes to your philosophy and it is always hair-raising when he asks for help and I sit in front of his widescreen 28" monitor staring at hundreds of icons! :hairout:
Regards,
Bob