Cunundrum

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Cunundrum

Post by Dave Davison »

(Hope this is in the correct forum) I took a screen shot of part of my desktop using FastStone Capture and for the first time ever, encountered a strange result. If I double left click the saved file up pops a search engine (see belowt) rather than the saved image. However, if I right click on the file and open it with e.g. Microsoft Picture Manager it shows the correct image. So to compare this anomaly I saved the same section of screen using Screenpresso (which I thankfully learned about on this lounge) and repeating the two above methods of opening the file, the correct image appears using both options which suggests something has latched on to Faststone. Should I uninstall it and a link to a safe free download link would be appreciated. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Cunundrum

Post by Rudi »

It sounds like file associations.
FastStone might be using *.png as a default picture format and ScreenPresso might be using *.jpg. (For example)
On your system, *.png might be associated with your browser and *.jpg is correctly associated.

If you right click on the FastStone file and choose Open With... then browse for whichever picture viewer you prefer...that should resolve it.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rudi on 12 Aug 2014, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What is the extension (file type) of the screenshot you created with FastStone Capture, and what is the extension of the screenshot from ScreenPresso?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi gents...........been to the computer shop this afternoon and after having the 2GB of extra memory I mentioned earlier installed the owner ran MalwareBytes Pro and exposed & deleted a hoard of imposters which has done the trick as FastStone Capture is back to normal so the issue is resolved thanks anyway. Regards Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Excellent. Good to hear!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's what I feared. You've only had Windows 7 for two weeks and you already acquired "a hoard of imposters"...

Dave, please try to be careful when downloading and installing stuff. Be on the lookout for offers to install extras such as browser toolbars - you should avoid those.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Point well taken Hans though it baffles me how so many gremlins infested the HD seeing I have only downloaded a couple of addons for Firefox like Freemake Downloader and Download Helper plus FastStone Capture and Sceeenpresso. Besides, I was very careful to UNTICK boxes that allowed other junk progs to tag along with the one selected. I feel the MalwareBytes PRO which was installed today will be a great help in exposing & deleting any intruders that might somehow slip through. The shop owner advised that running MalwareBytes should be done in Safe Mode with the second option in the list being selected. Have not read that on the lounge though it might be there among the thousands of posts. As is always emphasized by those who know best, vigilance is the key. Thanks again Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is designed to run in normal mode. You should only run it in Safe Mode if you cannot start it in normal mode.

It is an excellent security program, by the way - one of the best in removing malware.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Now that just confirms something the shop owner said today Hans concerning free progs like Secunia which has a good right up by some loungers. His opinion is that whereas one might enthusiastically endorse a program another might not rate it too highly so the safe bet is to keep extra progs to a minimum. Incidentally, e.g. I ran Belarc Advisor & Secunia recently which both listed numerous programs as being out of date - many of them of Microsoft origin - yet my updates is set to auto download so they seem conflicting allerts. Just now -after having the m/c purged today and deemed fit for use - I ran both the progs mentioned above and Belarc gives the security score as only being 12.5% whilst the Secunia score is 97%. However, Checking with Microsoft says drivers are up to date. I have read more than once that some programs claim there are faults and offer a solution (at a cost of course) so am I on safe ground by regarding the Microsoft search as kosher & disregard the other findings? In other words are the two freebys mentioned necessary in the first place? The shop owner says "not really" Regular updates from Microsoft, Avira & Malware Bytes should be sufficient to maintain a clean up to date computer. Regards Dave

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Point well taken Hans though it baffles me how so many gremlins infested the HD seeing I have only downloaded a couple of addons for Firefox like Freemake Downloader and Download Helper plus FastStone Capture and Sceeenpresso. Besides, I was very careful to UNTICK boxes that allowed other junk progs to tag along with the one selected. I feel the MalwareBytes PRO which was installed today will be a great help in exposing & deleting any intruders that might somehow slip through. The shop owner advised that running MalwareBytes should be done in Safe Mode with the second option in the list being selected. Have not read that on the lounge though it might be there among the thousands of posts. As is always emphasized by those who know best, vigilance is the key. Thanks again Dave.
Dave, I'm rather surprised that you haven't had and used Malwarebytes before this time. You've been on the Lounge long enough to have been aware of this and other GOOD programs like CCleaner, to help keep things cleaned up. :scratch: I also second Hans's advise on using MB in Normal mode, not resorting to Safe mode.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave,

Secunia PSI reporting Microsoft XML Core Services 4.x as out-of-date is a false positive - see Secunia PSI false positive warning - MSXML Core Services 4.x.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Bob.I was aware of & have used Malware Bytes for quite some time but during the latter stages of using XP my computer refused to run it so i used their on-line scan till they stopped making it available. It is just since converting to W7 that the shop owner installed the Premium edition so I'll run it regularly; as for running it in Safe Mode; that was the advice of the shop owner so just goes to show, conflicting advice from two experts so therein lies the dilemma for the likes of me. He also reacts less than enthusiastically when I mention Secunia and CCleaner. Two freebies that I learned about on this lounge as being well worth having on one's computer. Seems he might just have some justification for his relicense in light of what Hans wrote about the false positive. I am also aware of certain free scanning progs that tend to show dozens of changes that are needed to one's computer and expect a fee for clearing them out when in fact there is nothing amis. How many stars would you ascribe to Secunia, CCleaner, Belarc Advisor and the like???? And what others would you be inclined to have installed as well? Regards Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Bob.I was aware of & have used Malware Bytes for quite some time but during the latter stages of using XP my computer refused to run it so i used their on-line scan till they stopped making it available. It is just since converting to W7 that the shop owner installed the Premium edition so I'll run it regularly; as for running it in Safe Mode; that was the advice of the shop owner so just goes to show, conflicting advice from two experts so therein lies the dilemma for the likes of me. He also reacts less than enthusiastically when I mention Secunia and CCleaner. Two freebies that I learned about on this lounge as being well worth having on one's computer. Seems he might just have some justification for his relicense in light of what Hans wrote about the false positive. I am also aware of certain free scanning progs that tend to show dozens of changes that are needed to one's computer and expect a fee for clearing them out when in fact there is nothing amis. How many stars would you ascribe to Secunia, CCleaner, Belarc Advisor and the like???? And what others would you be inclined to have installed as well? Regards Dave.
CCleaner *****
Malwarebytes *****
Secunia **
Belarc ***
Advanced Uninstaller Pro *****
AM-Deadlink ****
AutoRuns ****
PrivaZer ***
WebShots Desktop ****
Easeus Partition Master ****

To name a few, right off the top of my head.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.