Where Is My Recycle Bin?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Where Is My Recycle Bin?

Post by BobH »

For the first time in ages, I needed to look for a deleted email in the Recycle Bin only to discover that I don't have one!!!!

Does Win7 HPE not have a Recycle Bin? If it does have one, how might I have lost the shortcut icon on my desktop? Is there someplace else to look for it? If it still exists, can I create a new shortcut icon for the desktop? If so, how?

Feeling like a bag of hammers today.

:hairout:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Where Is My Recycle Bin?

Post by stuck »

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Email does NOT go to the Recycle bin, but to a "Deleted Folder" within your email program.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Now I'm even a bigger sack of hammers!

I followed your instructions, Ken, and viewed the video. I then did as it instructed and found that the Recycle Bin was, indeed, not checked on the Desktop Icon Settings panel; so I checked it and restarted the system. The recycle bin icon is still missing. ????

Dave, I realize that what you are saying is true; however, using Thunderbird, I have no folder in any of my several mailboxes for deleted items. I do have a "Trash" folder in each of them and found the errant email that I sought.

The mystery of the missing Recycle Bin continues.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
Select View from the context menu.
Make sure that 'Show desktop icons' in the submenu is 'on' (ticked).
S0005.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Another way of accessing the Recycle bin is though Explorer.
On the View Tab select Navigation Pane
Choose Show All Folders to reveal the Recycle Bin
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Here is my method of choice.
Right click any clear area of the desktop
Click personalize
Click on change desktop icons
Check Recycle bin
Desktop.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi, Bob (Viking),

That's the standard method, but BobH reported "Recycle Bin was, indeed, not checked on the Desktop Icon Settings panel; so I checked it and restarted the system. The recycle bin icon is still missing." So he already tried that method, and it didn't work...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Here is a screenshot after following Viking Bob's directions.
VB route.jpg
You can see that the Recycle Bin box is now checked.

I followed Hans' directions and got very similar results (same checked boxes) displayed a bit differently but I could not get a ss because the popups disappear when FastStone Capture is activated and the capture icon pressed.

I have the settings right, I think (as if I could, eh?); but I still do not see the Recycle Bin icon on my desktop.

FWIW: Here is a ss of the first screen presented when I right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize and before choosing Change Desktop Icons.
VB2.jpg

I know nothing about themes. Is it possible that my theme is causing the problem? I don't recall having ever chosen a theme, but I can hide my own Easter Eggs nowadays.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

OK, Here is a link to MS Windows Seven forums, where there a few other methods suggested including the ones already posted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/41 ... splay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, the theme is not the problem (I see you're still using my winter photo of Leiden! :thumbup:)

If Show Desktop Items is ticked in the View submenu of the desktop right-click menu, yet the Recycle Bin is not visible, it could have been moved off-screen by accident. I you don't mind all your desktop icons being moved, you could right-click the desktop again, and select View > Auto Arrange Icons. Does the Recycle Bin appear?
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH,
I suppose your themes may be blocking the RB but I use a customized theme
( Webshots) without any interference of the icons.
You could just try one of the other themes like the ugly Windows default, just to make sure.
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:No, the theme is not the problem (I see you're still using my winter photo of Leiden! :thumbup:)

If Show Desktop Items is ticked in the View submenu of the desktop right-click menu, yet the Recycle Bin is not visible, it could have been moved off-screen by accident. I you don't mind all your desktop icons being moved, you could right-click the desktop again, and select View > Auto Arrange Icons. Does the Recycle Bin appear?

Yes, Hans! I love that photo. I've used it as my wallpaper since you posted it.

Although I'm a bit embarrassed by the clutter, here's a ss after having done the Auto Arrange as suggested. Although I checked the boxes for the Recycle Bin and Control Panel, neither appears.
DT post AA.jpg
I shall follow the links to MS to see if I can learn something there.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

SUCCESS!

Following the links Viking Bob gave me, I read the page about displaying or hiding the Recycle Bin shortcut. In Windows Explorer, when selecting the Desktop folder (?) I could see the Recycle Bin and Control Panel items. I simply selected each in turn and right clicked and chose to create a shortcut and they both now appear on my desktop.

I think I might have discovered how they went missing too. Somewhere in the musty recesses of my battered brain, I recall having once had the Recycle Bin and the Control Panel shortcuts in my System Tray. As the tray became too crowded to display all the shortcuts I'd placed there, I began to delete the ones used least often. Because I rarely ever have need of the RB, it probably went a long time ago. CP's shortcut was probably just collateral damage during one of my manic episodes.

Thank you all, Gentlemen!

:wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: all 'round!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad it's been solved.

By the way, if you want to capture a screenshot of a dropdown menu or a right-click menu with FastStone Capture, you can press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+PrintScreen.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Glad it's been solved.

By the way, if you want to capture a screenshot of a dropdown menu or a right-click menu with FastStone Capture, you can press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+PrintScreen.
Thanks for the tip, Hans!

How did anyone so young get to be so smart as you? :cheers: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Young? I'm 62... :gramps:
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I was already courting girls when you were born, young fella!

:laugh:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Good show, BobH!
That's a lot of icons. Sometimes you can't see the desktop for the icons, or the forest for the trees!
Glad you had success. :clapping: :cheers:
BOB

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

Glad your RB icon is resolved, but, does your RB icon have a shortcut arrow on it, since you used the command "Create a shortcut" to send the icon to your desktop?
( :whisper: I hope I'm not throwing a spanner in the works here...)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.