hidden progs running

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

hidden progs running

Post by Dave Davison »

When I click the appropriate tabs to close the computer down -even though I've closed all open files & nothing is showing on the taskbar- a message appears on a blacked out screen saying programmes need to be closed before the computer can close down. As the Task manager shows there ARE NO pogs running or open files yet the message persist every time I try to close down. Advise please. Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: hidden progs running

Post by HansV »

This thread has been moved from the "Other MS Office Applications" forum since it appears to be a Windows 7 problem; there is no indication that it has to do with other MS Office applications.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't think this is a problem, I see an empty screen like this every time both my (personal) little netbook and my (work) desktop machines shut down. I've always assumed it's just the way Win 7 works on shutdown.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Some programs remain in memory and active for a while after you close them. They will then be listed in the Processes tab of Task Manager, but not any more in the Applications tab. Examples are Internet Explorer, Firefox and Microsoft Outlook.
Security programs (anti-virus and the like) may also remain active.
You could try waiting a minute or so after closing the last program before shutting down Windows.
If that doesn't help, you could try the HotFix in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=975777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks, didn't know about the hot fix because I didn't know I had a problem. Don't think I'll bother though. It's always been like this and it doesn't prevent the shutdown so I reckon it comes under, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I assume this must be a W7 characteristic as this has never EVER happened in the 13 years I have been computing, Strange thing is though, I have been using W7 for over a week and it has not happened till today!!!!! OK, seems nothing to worry about but I'll look at the link Hans shared and see what it offers. Regards Dave & thanks ..

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I would be looking at the Task Manager Processes tab rather than the Applications tab, and would previously have clicked on the "Show processes from all users". That gives you a lower-level view (which usually doesn't last long!).

It's not uncommon to find that Outlook, Word, etc. seem to shut down more slowly than Shutdown seems to expect. I would expect this of any large program. But although it's not uncommon, it's not frequent! [Discuss...]
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the comments, seeing this is not a first I can live with it & as was commented "if it's not broke don't fix it" so it seems nothis broke so will disregard it. Cheers Dave.