Windows 7 Update On Boot Up

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 7 Update On Boot Up

Post by hlewton »

When I turned on my computer today I saw a message, I can’t remember the exact words but they were something along the lines of, Update 64 of 64, registry/ are being applied. Then I saw the normal message of configuring the machine do not turn it off. The last time I had this computer on it did not say there were any updates it was downloading nor did it give any warning message to not turn it off; yet I got the message I just mentioned above. Any ideas as to what caused that message to appear on boot up?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Windows 7 Update On Boot Up

Post by Rudi »

Just a guess, but if you put your PC into sleep mode, it is not a full boot up, so if auto updates took place and you wake the PC, you will not see any messages. However, if you happened to do a full shutdown, the next time you boot up you will see the message about updates taking place.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I saw that message too when I turned on my PC today. I looked at the history of updates and noticed that "Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320" had been installed automatically on the 1st of August. This was the first time I had turned my PC off, then on again since then, so I assume the message is related to that update.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

And I had a similar message on the start up screen "Applying update operation 64 of 64 ...... and a couple of words I missed" lasted for a few seconds and then the log-on screen appeared as normal - never seen anything like that before, it was a single line of writing, right across the bottom of the screen underneath the Windows logo :scratch: . Haven't had any problems then, or since.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The same experience is reported elsewhere; the only explanation offered is the unannounced update to Windows Update. It definitely looked weird...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess it is nothing to worry about since it appears to be running fine. I never let my machines go into a sleep mode but do turn them off every night. I'll pay particular attention when turning it on again. Right now I am going to go turn on another of my Win 7 machines and see if I get the message again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Now I wonder if this update is only on machines that have Office 365 on them. I booted up two other machines running Win 7, one with Pro and one with Home Premium and neither of them had that update so far.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and Office 2010. I don't have Office 365, but I did get this update.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I got this up date on my Windows 7, 32 bit running Office 365 and on my Windows 7, 64 bit running Office 2010.

BUT, not on my Windows 8.1 laptop running Office 2010.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Here is a link to the KnowledgeBase article about this update: Update to Microsoft Update client.
This article describes the update that further improves the security of Windows Update (WU) / Microsoft Update (MU) client for Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Note Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 with update 2919355 already include these improvements.

(...)

This update will be rolled out gradually. It will be automatically installed if Automatic Updates is turned on and is either set to automatically install updates or notify to install updates.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Here is a link to the KnowledgeBase article about this update: Update to Microsoft Update client.
I did follow this link but not sure if it is about my machines or not so I did nothing except read and try to understand it. I still have not seen the update to my other 2 computers but will wait to see if I eventually get it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There is nothing you have to do unless you have automatic updates completely turned off.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:There is nothing you have to do unless you have automatic updates completely turned off.
No I have them turned on but I occasionally check manually for important updates and I just did that now. It did not show any available. So I guess I just wait it out.
Regards,
hlewton