Slow Boot Up In Windows 7

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Slow Boot Up In Windows 7

Post by hlewton »

I know I had this problem before with a machine booting up very slowly. I am certain it was in Windows XP then and I believe it was Bob who told me to uncheck the option for checking for network drives on boot up. I searched the other lounge for that thread and can't seem to find it so I must ask again about a very slow boot up. Is there an option to tell Windows 7 to not check for network drives while it is booting up and if so where is it found? I am hoping if there is still such an option that the other machines will still be accessible as they were in Windows XP even after unchecking that option.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Slow Boot Up In Windows 7

Post by hlewton »

I did manage to find what I was talking about at the other sire: Here it is:
You should also check Windows Explorer - Tools | Folder Options | View and make sure "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is NOT checked.
I don't seem to find any similar option in Win 7's Windows Explorer. I find Folder and Search Options under Organize but not the Automatic search for network folders and printers.

Has it been eliminated, or moved to somewhere else, or am I just missing it somehow?

Edited: I guess I found it under advanced sharing in Windows 7 but not sure what would happen if I unchecked it. Also it appears that the file sharing and printer sharing are now 2 separate options.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The option you want is "Network discovery" in the "Change advanced sharing settings" dialog.
networkdiscovery1.jpg
To disable automatically searching for network folders and printers, select "Turn off network discovery" and click "Save Changes".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

hlewton wrote:
but not sure what would happen if I unchecked it.
------------------------
So TRY it and see what happens. You can always go back and check it if it's not what you want.
An old engineering maxim was\is, "Tune for smoke and have the extinguisher handy." :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both.
Regards,
hlewton