Windows 7 Sound Theme Identifying Slower Boot Up Time

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Windows 7 Sound Theme Identifying Slower Boot Up Time

Post by BobH »

Run Speccy (free from Piriform) or even BelArc Advisor (another freeware program).

Speccy will identify your chipset and motherboard (mobo) and Belarc will tell you if your BIOS is the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). With this information you should be able to search the spiderwebs for more definitive information.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:Run Speccy (free from Piriform) or even BelArc Advisor (another freeware program).

Speccy will identify your chipset and motherboard (mobo) and Belarc will tell you if your BIOS is the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). With this information you should be able to search the spiderwebs for more definitive information.
Thanks. I know I have UEFI but those programs are great to have.
Regards,
hlewton

BenCasey
4StarLounger

Post by BenCasey »

This is a good link for various windows.

Click here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29 ... -mode.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, Ben

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts."
- Richard Feynman

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BenCasey wrote:This is a good link for various windows.

Click here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29 ... -mode.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link.

I’m really confused now. The, I think it may be called, splash screen that I first see when turning on my computers says "Hit F2 or delete to enter UEFI bios settings." I would assume that means I have the UEFI type on my machines. However when following the steps in the link above it gives two ways to determine whether or not your machine has the UEFI or the Legacy BIOS settings. The first method where you run “diskmgmt.msc” to bring up the disk manager does not show I have UEFI. The second method where you run "msinfo32.exe" is supposed to show a line that tells you whether or not you have the Legacy or UEFI settings. That line is supposed to be “BIOS mode” I do not get that line when the system summary is displayed after running "msinfo32.exe." Speccy does identify the chipset and motherboard and then there is Belarc it identifies my BIOS as this “UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1805 12/19/2012” So bottom line, I believe, is since both my splash screen and Belarc says I have UEFI I guess I must have it even though the other two methods described above of checking seems to indicate I do not have UEFI. Any thoughs? Do you agree I should believe the splash screen and Belarc?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, you must have UEFI.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Yes, you must have UEFI.
I believe that but it is confusing with the different information I see from the various programs I ran.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

On closer inspection of Belarc I found this:

Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported) it says this under Operating System

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1805 12/19/2012 and this under Main Circuit Board

I found this on line: Secure Boot is a feature included on UEFI-based computers running Microsoft Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 and later.

Again I have Windows 7 Pro and I'm confused again and not sure what I have as far as the BIOS is concerned.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have UEFI, but not Secure Boot - the last feature is not available on Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans.
Regards,
hlewton