Windows 7 systray error - maybe?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 7 systray error - maybe?

Post by hlewton »

Where I have tried to draw an arrow in the attachment when I point to it on the systray it says:
Network 2
Internet access

The red “x” makes me believe there is a problem with Internet access but I can get to all sites and when I run the Internet or network connections troubleshooter it finds no problem. I have no idea why the red “x” is there but it does usually disappear after a reboot. Any ideas what it is or why it occasionally appears? Also how would I get rid of it without having to reboot?

Thanks
Network.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 7 systray error - maybe?

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I don't use sleep or hibernation options that I know of. But the strange thing is I occasionally do get the speaker red icon saying something about the audio program not responding yet the speakers do still work. I checked out the other link but did not yet follow its steps. I will check it out. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I followed the steps in the first link - ended the explorer.exe process and then restarted it. The red x disappeared. I then checked the settings for the power settings and the sleep, etc. settings are set to "never." That makes me assume I am not using either sleep or hibernation yet the steps for that problem got rid of the red x. I'm not sure what to think or if I should check any further since the red x is gone.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If I were in your place, I wouldn't worry about it. The important thing is that your internet connection and sound are still working.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I followed the instructions in this link. I did not have any devices that had a question mark/exclamation mark. When I ran the "ncpa.cpl" I saw what is in the attachment so I'm not sure what that proves except that the network that a program I sometimes use called Anomymizer that uses a virtual network to mask my IP address is not currently connected. Maybe that is what the red x was saying, not sure. I also ran the "ipconfig /all" and have no idea what it was telling me but nothing jumped out at me.
Networks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:If I were in your place, I wouldn't worry about it. The important thing is that your internet connection and sound are still working.
Hans I didn't see this until after my last post. I think you're probably right. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The red x-es in your latest screenshot are most probably the cause of the red x in the Internet Access icon. So there is no real connection problem, actually. I'd leave it alone...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes I agree. Again, thanks.
Regards,
hlewton